Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Nicad charger for 4x sub c cells

Hello all.

I have a lawn edger with an electric start that is powered by 4x sub C
nicads. They have died and the charger has long gone missing. A
genuine charger costs about $70. Does anyone know, is there any
reason I cannot use something like this to charge them?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=DC1014

Thanks for reading.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/13/2009 11:31 PM justallan spake thus:

I have a lawn edger with an electric start that is powered by 4x sub C
nicads. They have died and the charger has long gone missing. A
genuine charger costs about $70. Does anyone know, is there any
reason I cannot use something like this to charge them?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=DC1014

I'd think not, as that one is made for NiMH and not NiCd batteries.
Different charging rates, different cycle times.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"justallan" wrote in message
Hello all.

I have a lawn edger with an electric start that is powered by 4x sub C
nicads. They have died and the charger has long gone missing. A
genuine charger costs about $70. Does anyone know, is there any
reason I cannot use something like this to charge them?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=DC1014

Thanks for reading.

That one is probably way too small.

There are several aftermarket R/C SMART chargers that would be more
appropriate. They sense the number and type of batteries and automatically
select the charge accordingly. It is important to have identical cells of
the same state of charge in a pack.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/smart_cha..._2321_prd1.htm

Or you could build your own:
http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDoc...3,C1037,D11197

Or modify an existing surplus tool charger;
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/charger2.html

If the sub-C's have been down for a while, you may have lost one or more.
You may have to replace or repack the battery. It occurs to me that a whole
new lawn edger might be had for the same price, but I might be wrong.

I usually don't bother fixing up something like that unless there are enough
junk parts laying around so I don't have to chase around for parts and pay
top price for whatever I can get to do the job. I have found discount new
power tool batteries for defunct or discontinued tools and opened them up to
use as replacement cells. Occasionally RS has put R/C packs on sale too.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 13, 11:31*pm, justallan wrote:

I have a lawn edger with an electric start that is powered by 4x sub C
nicads. *They have died and the charger has long gone missing.

So, you can replace both the nicads AND the charger? Get a
quad of NiMH AA cells and charger, and a four-cell battery holder,
and fire 'er up!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
whit3rd wrote:
I have a lawn edger with an electric start that is powered by 4x sub C
nicads. They have died and the charger has long gone missing.

So, you can replace both the nicads AND the charger? Get a
quad of NiMH AA cells and charger, and a four-cell battery holder,
and fire 'er up!

AA cells are longer than sub C and may not fit the housing. Sub C cells
are readily available in tagged versions so they can be soldered easily.

Although you might be able to get AAs with nominally the same capacity as
sub C they may not be able to deliver the same current.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.