Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Balanced Power and Pick up lens lifespan

Hi,

Using a balanced power supply is it possible the effect of "Negative"
presents in a CD player after being switched off may shorten the life
span of the laser unit (pickup lens)?

In normal power supply the switch usually cuts the hot(live) and so
no voltage should present in a Cd player. But in the case of balance
power supply the switch only cuts the +ve incoming current but the -ve
left undisturbed.

This I think affects the lifespan of the laser unit since I have
changed 4 over 8 or 10 years. My friend who uses identical equipment
but unplugs everything after usage got no problem with his pick up
lens. Same problem with different type of players. Voltage and other
issues are all eliminated.

Pardon my poor command of english.

Thanks.

Regards,
ST
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What you're saying is completely untrue. Electronic equipment is not
designed that way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 5, 10:16*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
What you're saying is completely untrue. Electronic equipment is not
designed that way.

Ok, in the case of reverse polarity -will there be any voltage in the
CD player even after it is the CD PLAYER switch is switched off? That
won't have whatsoever effect on diodes and other components?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What you're saying is completely untrue. Electronic equipment is not
designed that way.

Ok, in the case of reverse polarity -will there be any voltage in the
CD player even after it is the CD PLAYER switch is switched off? That
won't have whatsoever effect on diodes and other components?

If the player does not have a "hard" power-supply switch -- and many
don't -- there will be a turn-on circuit that draws a bit of power. But
there would no reason for leaving the main power supplies on -- and
especially (in a device using balanced supplies) leaving one on and the
other off.

No designer in his right mind would leave the laser diode running all the
time. They have a limited lifespan, and you don't waste it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 5, 11:05*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
What you're saying is completely untrue. Electronic equipment is not
designed that way.

Ok, in the case of reverse polarity -will there be any voltage in the
CD player even after it is the CD PLAYER switch is switched off? That
won't have whatsoever effect on diodes and other components?

If the player does not have a "hard" power-supply switch -- and many
don't -- there will be a turn-on circuit that draws a bit of power. But
there would no reason for leaving the main power supplies on -- and
especially (in a device using balanced supplies) leaving one on and the
other off.

No designer in his right mind would leave the laser diode running all the
time. They have a limited lifespan, and you don't waste it.

Thanks. I think you just answered my question as to why I have been
changing pick up lens more often then others. I still welcome any
other info.

Cheers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ST wrote:
[...]

Good morning,

While I agree with Mr. Sommerwerck, I did see one implementation of a
Sony mechanism that had the laser burning any time the machine was
switched on. The only time the laser shut off was when the front panel
'power' switch (actually a standby switch) was in the off position, or
of course if the AC mains was disconnected. This was an implementation
from around 1996, and used the KSS-240A laser. The next version did not
do this.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This I ***** affects the lifespan of the laser unit since I have
[...]

Curiously, all the pickup lens that died were of Sony pickup lens in
the so called High End Universal transport. Anyway, I am still looking
for a specific answer, i.e, When the polarity is reversed would the
live end in the CD player shortened the life span of the laser unit
despite the power switch (hard switch without stand by) off?

Thank you and kind regards,
Chelvam

balanced flues Stephen[_2_] UK diy 6 September 18th 08 02:10 PM
balanced flue: worth it? Stephen[_2_] UK diy 9 August 16th 08 12:35 PM
GFX Balanced flow Robert Gammon Home Repair 0 April 16th 06 07:37 PM
Balanced flue terminals? Ian Stirling UK diy 0 October 10th 04 03:23 PM
Need to adapt a fiber optic as a lens to a video camera lens,can anyone help me out? Rich Grise Electronics 0 October 19th 03 11:33 PM