Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Failure resulting in hole punched in GE CFL

This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Not often, but then I usually just replace bad bulbs.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a

year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included

in the

Is the keyphrase "horizontally mounted " and the hole was where the mercury
condensed into a ball ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Not often, but then I usually just replace bad bulbs.

What fun is that?

Unfortunately my fun days left when I became disabled. I used to grab
every dead 'unrepairable' module at work to do my own failure analysis,
but that is just a fond memory now. I repaired dead motherboards, hard
drives and cards for various computers at the component level, for fun.
Hell, I used to read IC databooks for fun. I still have a couple hundred
in my personal library. I moved & rebuilt a 1952 model RCA UHF TV
transmitter once, then reassembled it, then troubleshot all the problems
that has caused it to be retired. That project took about six months.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:28:43 -0000, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a

year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Is the keyphrase "horizontally mounted " and the hole was where the mercury
condensed into a ball ?

If this was a real problem, then wouldn't you expect to see these
kinds of failures in the long, straight, horizontally mounted
fluorescent tubes?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 19:23:52 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
put finger to keyboard and composed:

This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

A colleague claims that he witnessed a case where the neck of Philips
CRT was pinholed when his colleague removed the tuning capacitor in
the line stage. shrug

BTW, I've had a bad run with Edapt CFLs. Typical faults include dry
joints, O/C startup resistors, and O/C filaments. Strangely, in the
latter case the lamp flashes once when I touch it.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message
This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a

year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Is the keyphrase "horizontally mounted " and the hole was where the mercury
condensed into a ball ?

I don't know. There's supposed to be very little mercury in these things
though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This one was rather strange, at least to me.

One of two horizontally mounted spiral GE CFLs in a semi-enclosed fixture
simply winked out. It's one I had repaired cracked solder joints on a year
or so ago so I figured time to resolder if the transistors/MOSFETs weren't
toast.

Checked all common suspects for shorts/opens as well as the lamp for
good filaments, no problesm found.

Resoldered some questionable joints - no sign of life.

Then I noticed IT - a dimple near one end of the tube and a resistor
lead could be inserted straight into the inside. A pinpoint on the
inside surface of the glass must have gotten really hot.

How often do you see that?

Never. What could get hot enough to do that?

That's really the question. Unless as someone else suggested, that's
where a bit of mercury condensed and somehow the discharge went to that
instead of the filament. I have no idea if that's even possible.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar writes:

[...]

Don't know if it's a real problem, but it was a real failure.

The current density is lower in the fat straight ones but since I have
no idea how this happened, it's hard to even speculate on whether other
types are prone to it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 19:00:50 -0500, Sam Goldwasser

Franc Zabkar writes:

[...]

I'd return the faulty CFL to GE with a comment to the effect that a
lamp that leaks mercury into the household atmosphere is a potentially
serious health hazard. Ask them how long it will be before you will be
able to tell whether the toxins have poisoned your liver. I guarantee
you'll get a box full of free replacements in a matter of days. :-)

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/

[...]

Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.- Hide quoted text -

Please let us know what GE says when you contact them!!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar writes:

[...]

I assume the amount of mercury isn't enough to hurt anyone, I mean how often do these things get smashed by clumsy people?

If you eat a judge's uniform you might contract a lawsuit.