Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 32" tube TV distortion

My TV is about 11 years old, it's a 32 inch tube Toshiba. It's a model
CF32G50, manufacture date, August 1997, and the chassis number is TAC
9715.

The distortion is sort of like half circles on both sides of the
screen, with "rays" that "flutter". The middle of the screen is
brighter, but can only really see that if I have a solid light color
background, such as a webpage displayed, or a menu for the DVD player.

I could see the pattern at times even when watching regular TV when I
first bought it. I called repair out twice after purchase and they
couldn't find anything "off", so I had this problem the whole time I
had the TV.

Now that I'm using the TV also to display my computer, it's really
bringing the defect out, especially on static screens where one color
dominates. Very irritating. Not absolutely sure, but I think my TV
may have an automatic degausser built in. The TV has never been
dropped or damaged, and I've had the TV in about 5 different houses
now.

I linked a crude drawing as it's about impossible to take a decent
picture of a TV screen, link below.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...distortion.jpg

Any info helpful if it's something that can be taken care of
reasonably easy. Thanks much.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This is probably a CRT problem, caused by shipping damage.

My first Toshiba CZ 3299K suffered from really weird distortions, not unlike
yours. A reviewer had similar problems with his sample of this set. Toshiba
took my set back and refunded the purchase price, but the unit was bisected
by a fork lift at Toshiba, and no one ever figured out what the problem was.

I hope someone here has the right answer. If not, put the set in the back of
a pickup truck and run it over rough roads. (Seriously.) It couldn't hurt!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dke3591" wrote in message
[...]

Its really hard to tell much from your sketch, but I'd check the degauss
posistor - sometimes the internal thermistor pellets crack or shatter
causing all kinds of mischief.

The most common type has 2 elements, both PTC thermistors, one is in series
with the degauss coil so as it self heats and increases resistance the AC
current through the coil decays. The other NTC pellet is directly across the
switched AC so it additionally heats the degauss pellet effectively
switching it off.

There is another rarer 3 pin type - one of the pellets is NTC and is in
series with the AC feed to the bridge rectifier.

Some modern TVs have a similar degauss posistor to monitors - a 2 pin single
element PTC controlled by a relay.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
This is probably a CRT problem, caused by shipping damage.

My first Toshiba CZ 3299K suffered from really weird distortions, not
unlike
yours. A reviewer had similar problems with his sample of this set.
Toshiba
took my set back and refunded the purchase price, but the unit was
bisected
by a fork lift at Toshiba, and no one ever figured out what the problem
was.

I hope someone here has the right answer. If not, put the set in the back
of
a pickup truck and run it over rough roads. (Seriously.) It couldn't hurt!

You forgot to plagiarise the "face down on a pile of blankets" bit!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...action=view¤t=...

Any info helpful if it's something that can be taken care of
reasonably easy. Thanks much.

Could this guy be describing a moire pattermn?

Bob Hofmann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Dec 5, 1:34 pm, dke3591 wrote:
[...]

That was my thought, Bob. In which case, it's effect may be able to be
mitigated by a very slight tweak of the focus control - literally no more
than a couple of degrees of rotation.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 6, 5:10 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 5, 1:34 pm, dke3591 wrote:

[...]

Hi, thanks all for replying. It does in a way resemble a moire
pattern, but they are like "rays" coming out of those "half-circles",
something like a moire, but not exactly the same in my opinion. The
pattern seems broken (normal) between the rays, but the rays seem to
"wave". However the pattern kind of disturbs the affected areas
similar to a moire pattern with a similar shade of obstruction, on a
white screen, the screen looks a little grayer under the patterns.

I don't see a focus control on the remote, is it a hidden control, as
I want to try that. Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Dec 5, 1:34 pm, dke3591 wrote:

[...]

It will be located on the back of the flyback transformer. This is the
(usually) black cylindrical plastic piece that the thick high voltage wire
from the CRT bowl goes back to. It is usually located at the back right
corner of the chassis as you look into the back. There will normally be two
plastic knobs with screwdriver slots, sticking out of one vertical face of
the transformer. Often, these will face out towards the back, but sometimes,
they face towards the right. One of these controls will normally be 'sealed'
with a paint like nail polish, and the word "screen" (or "A1") will be
embossed in the plastic by it. DO NOT adjust this one, as it has a profound
effect on the operating conditions of the CRT. The other knob should be
marked "Focus". You can twiddle that one to your heart's content.

One last thing. Be careful what you are touching in the back, if you are not
experienced in this sort of thing. There are some very nasty sources of
lightning in there, and they *will* bite you if you provoke them ! Good
luck with it. Hope you get somewhere.

PS. Ian's suggestion about the degaussing positor is also a good one. I seem
to remember back in the dim distant past, having a similar problem that
turned out to be that the degaussing circuit was continuously *very
slightly* running due to a faulty posistor. You would need a service shop to
sort that one for you, though.

Arfa