Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Peavey VTX Classic guitar amp stopped working and one 6l6GC tube is glowing red

This post is an informational post for anyone running in to the same
problem with a Peavey VTX Classic guitar amp. From other post on the
Internet it appears other people have had this problem from aging
Peavey VTX Classic amps.

I have a Peavey VTX Classic guitar amp I purchased new back in 1983.
It is a tube/solid state hybrid amp. The tube finals are 6l6gc tubes.
The rest is solid state. One night while I was playing out the amp
stopped working, and one of the 6l6gc tubes started glowing red. The
tubes checked good in a tube checker with no shorts or leaks. The
problem was traced back to a blown audio driver and pre-driver
transistor.
The audio driver transistor is marked "M 5884" with a Motorola "M"
trademark. I searched the Internet and virtually no mention of this
transistor. Eventually I found a cross reference replacement
transistor called MJE15030. There is a vendor on Ebay selling the
MJE15030 transistors. I imagine Peavey has them as well. The "M 5884"
transistors are mounted against two large metal heat sinks. I
replaced both of the "M 5884" transistors with the new MJE15030
transistors. The amp started putting out sound again and the one tube
stopped glowing red, but the audio was fuzzy even in the clean
channel.
I contacted Peavey repair and they provided a schematic diagram for
the Peavey VTX Classic free of charge. The repair person also
recommended I replace the two driver transistors - MPS6530. The
MPS6530 transistor cross references to transistor 2n3904. The 2n3904
transistor is available at Radio Shack for about 75 cents U.S. The
MPS6530/2n3904 transistors are marked as Q4 and Q5 on the Peavey VTX
Classic schematic. After replacing the two driver transistors
MPS6530/2n3904 the old Peavey VTX Classic starting working normally
and the unwanted distortion in the clean channel was gone.

I contacted Peavey at the following email addresses to get the free
schematic diagram and parts layout diagram.

Thanks to Peavey.com

Michael