Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HOME ELECTRONICS PROBLEM - PLEASE HELP!

Last year I bought a Sony KDL-32S3000 LCD TV. I hooked up my HD
DishNetwork receiver to it using an HDMI cable, and everything worked
fine. About a month ago I bought a Sony BDP-S500 Blu-ray player which
I hooked up to the TV using another HDMI cable. The discs (both Blu-
ray and DVD) played fine for a while, and then the sound and picture
went out, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes much longer. I
returned the player and bought a different model with the same
results. I returned the second player and bought another one like the
first, which I greatly prefer, but am experiencing the same trouble.
The chances of three Blu-ray players having the same problem is
astronomical, so we can assume the problem lies elsewhere. This is
what has been attempted.

I switched the two HDMI cables. The satellite continued to work
perfectly with either cable, the player did not work right with
either. I tried switching the two HDMI inputs in the TV with the same
result. The satellite works fine in either input, while the player
continues to fade out in either input. When the fade-out occurs, I can
not access the player's menu or the disc's menu or even the Blu-ray
logo, but I can access the TV's menu. Unsyncing the player with the TV
has made no difference, nor has upgrading to the player's latest
firmware version. I tried unplugging all three appliances and the
satellite from the TV overnight (a hard reset). In the morning I
plugged them back in without the satellite receiver but that didn't
help. Yesterday I tried hooking up the player using the enclosed A/V
cables (red, white, and yellow). I put in a regular DVD which played
for a while, but then the sound and picture began flashing on and off.
Even when I stopped it the Blu-ray logo continued to flash.

I am at my wit's end. I feel that I've systematically eliminated the
Blu-ray player, the TV inputs, the satellite receiver, and the cables
as the culprit. What else is left???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm going to make a wild-assed guess...

Dirty disks.

I cite Sherlock Holmes as my authority. "When you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dustnik wrote:
[...]

It certainly sounds like a bunch of bad players. Any possibility of
trying the player (and hdmi and red-white-yellow) cables on another TV?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bennett wrote:

dustnik wrote:

[...]

That or DRM / bad replication of CD's

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dustnik" wrote in message
[...]

I'm thinking it's the TV. We sometimes see bad HDMI processing on similar
models. Maybe just a firmware update on the Sony.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 27, 5:15*am, "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

I'm thinking it's the TV. We sometimes see bad HDMI processing on similar
models. Maybe just a firmware update on the Sony.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

The Blu-ray discs were brand new, not dirty and not copies. I looked
on Sony's site but there are no new firmware updates for the TV. I
think that you may be on the right track though. Thanks.