Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Peavey TNT 160 , 1990

5 of the 6 front panel jack sockets have duff solder. Not even with
lead-free solder have I come across such .
What other problems with these sockets ?
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:gra...eavey_0.25.jpg
sockets marked S/C, barrel/cylinder ground contact and sprung tip contact
with switch contact. A different 5 of the 6 have a crack in the plastic
showing at the tip of the yellow "V" - stress from manufacture ? metal bush
and nut so the plastic should not be compressed/stressed. The ground
terminal wire seem to be just pressure contact to the barrel to the left of
the V, with green copper carbonate? corrosion products, either side of that
ground wire.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:21:37 +0100, "N Cook"
wrote:

5 of the 6 front panel jack sockets have duff solder. Not even with
lead-free solder have I come across such .
What other problems with these sockets ?
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:gra...eavey_0.25.jpg
sockets marked S/C, barrel/cylinder ground contact and sprung tip contact
with switch contact. A different 5 of the 6 have a crack in the plastic
showing at the tip of the yellow "V" - stress from manufacture ? metal

bush
and nut so the plastic should not be compressed/stressed. The ground
terminal wire seem to be just pressure contact to the barrel to the left

of
the V, with green copper carbonate? corrosion products, either side of

that
ground wire.

I have not had many problems with Peavey guitar amps although I have
not used/owned a TNT combo bass amp. I just recent sold a Peavey
Special 130 circa 1990 that I went over with a fine tooth comb trying
to find an intermittent loss of volume (not a complete loss) looking
for a poor connection/solder joint. All the connections/joints looked
fine and turned out to be the 12" Scorpion speaker that would test 600
DC ohms when the problem was present. I replaced it with an identical
speaker I had purchased some years earlier and sent the dud to be
reconed.

In this case its that old problem of thin blade terminals soldered into
circular holes, so an enormous bridging gap for the solder in most places.

My usual retro-remedy is discs of fine brass or copper mesh, punched with a
paper-punch , and opened out central hole, soldered in place over each pin,
so mesh reinforced solder.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England