Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default S-video in works but Coax in doesn't work

Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

ha escrito:
Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

Have you tried going thru the tuning /channel search function?
have you checked the thing is set to UHF /VHF/cable reception (as
needed)?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 5, 8:37*pm, b wrote:
ha escrito:

Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

Have you tried going thru the tuning /channel search function?
have you checked the thing is set to UHF /VHF/cable reception (as
needed)?

Is this something that used to work, or is it all new to you and you
don't know exactly how to hook things up??
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The TV has to be set to the coax input, or you won't see anything.

The VCR and the TV have to be set to the same channel. VCRs with a coax
output should have a switch on the back to select channel 3 or 4.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
The TV has to be set to the coax input, or you won't see anything.

The VCR and the TV have to be set to the same channel. VCRs with a coax
output should have a switch on the back to select channel 3 or 4.

and while he's at it, then he can make sure that the VCR is set to VIDEO
mode. Some VCRs switch the output from the antenna input to the VCR's
modulator when you turn them on, others when you select VCR mode or push
play (usually the jap**** VCRs do this).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"b" wrote in message

ha escrito:
Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

Have you tried going thru the tuning /channel search function?
have you checked the thing is set to UHF /VHF/cable reception (as
needed)?

Because if it was set to ANTENNA as opposed to cable, he would still be able
to watch his VHS tapes and the first 13 channels. It's obvious that the
tuner is not functioning correctly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 05:03:27 -0700, "Curtis Brown"
wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The TV has to be set to the coax input, or you won't see anything.

The VCR and the TV have to be set to the same channel. VCRs with a coax
output should have a switch on the back to select channel 3 or 4.

and while he's at it, then he can make sure that the VCR is set to VIDEO
mode. Some VCRs switch the output from the antenna input to the VCR's
modulator when you turn them on, others when you select VCR mode or push
play (usually the jap**** VCRs do this).

Nowadays most HD-DVD players (VCR!? very last century..) do not even
have remodulators anymore.
HDMI - or old skool Scart / S-Vhs is the only upstream connection.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

If you're not all that knowledgeable about TV repair then how the **** do
you plan on fixing it yourself?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 7, 8:36*pm, "Stacey Chuffo"
wrote:
wrote in message

Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

If you're not all that knowledgeable about TV repair then how the **** do
you plan on fixing it yourself?

Thanks. Appreciate your highly intelligent reply. Extremely helpful.
Well worth your time and mine.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 5, 8:37*pm, b wrote:
ha escrito:

Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

Have you tried going thru the tuning /channel search function?
have you checked the thing is set to UHF /VHF/cable reception (as
needed)?

Yup. I did try channel search and I triple-checked that the input on
the TV was set to Cable in the menu setup.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 6, 8:43*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Oct 5, 8:37*pm, b wrote:

ha escrito:

Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

Have you tried going thru the tuning /channel search function?
have you checked the thing is set to UHF /VHF/cable reception (as
needed)?

Is this something that used to work, or is it all new to you and you
don't know exactly how to hook things up??- Hide quoted text -

Yes, this is something that used to work fine. Just stopped working.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 7, 6:42*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
The TV has to be set to the coax input, or you won't see anything.

The VCR and the TV have to be set to the same channel. VCRs with a coax
output should have a switch on the back to select channel 3 or 4.

I tried running the Cable directly to the Coax input on the TV and
through the VCR -- neither works, regardless of what channel the TV
and VCR are set to. I've tried both channel 3 and channel 4 and I've
confirmed that both the TV and VCR are set to the same channel.

Oddly, I can watch DVDs through the S-video input on my TV/RCA audio
inputs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 7, 7:04*am, "Curtis Brown" wrote:
"b" wrote in message

ha escrito:
Hi,

The Coax input on my Sony KV32S42 isn't working. I can watch DVDs by
connecting my DVD player to the S-video input but I get only snow when
I connect my VCR or my cable line to the Coax input. I'm hoping this
is something I can fix myself but I'm not at all knowledgeable about
TV repair so I need some direction.

Thanks.
S.

Have you tried going thru the tuning /channel search function?
have you checked the thing is set to UHF /VHF/cable reception (as
needed)?

Because if it was set to ANTENNA as opposed to cable, he would still be able
to watch his VHS tapes and the first 13 channels. It's obvious that the
tuner is not functioning correctly.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't try setting the TV to antenna. TV is in the basement so I
doubt I'll get much reception but I'll try this tonight.