Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default electronic ballast repair

Hello all,

This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one)
failed.
I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.
There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but
not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every
terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms
range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is
different with polarity reversed).
Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another
one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't
want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Francesco
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 19, 3:33*am, wrote:
Hello all,

This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one)
failed.
I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.
There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but
not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every
terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms
range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is
different with polarity reversed).
Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another
one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't
want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Francesco

was it an FEIT lamp, they have ntoriously short life? They are fun to
play with but not to really repair.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19 Set, 18:05, "hr(bob) " wrote:
On Sep 19, 3:33 am, wrote:

was it an FEIT lamp, they have ntoriously short life? They are fun to
play with but not to really repair.

If I'd only know what an FEIT lamp is...

Thanks
Francesco
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:33:52 -0700 (PDT),
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.

FWIW, "Si" is a prefix used by Vishay Siliconix:
http://www.vishay.com/company/brands/siliconix/

I suspect that the part number may be a special order.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 19, 11:48*am, wrote:
On 19 Set, 18:05, "hr(bob) " wrote:

On Sep 19, 3:33 am, wrote:

was it an FEIT lamp, they have ntoriously short life? *They are fun to
play with but not to really repair.

If I'd only know what an FEIT lamp is...

Thanks
Francesco

FEIT is a brand of lamp, like Sylvania, Philips,etc.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
wrote:
This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one)
failed.
I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.
There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but
not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every
terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms
range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is
different with polarity reversed).
Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another
one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't
want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

You can sometimes wreck a similar sized CFL and use the ballast from that.
Cheaper than buying spare parts.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello all,

This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one)
failed.
I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.
There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but
not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every
terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms
range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is
different with polarity reversed).
Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another
one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't
want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

Francesco, have a look at Todis hard discount.
They have complete set, case-switch on it-cable and plug, at 4,50 euro only.
Just ready to fit and eventually extend to others 'cause have fitted on side
an extension socket.
Not worth to repair.
ciao Valerio

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Maybe that is a MJE13003, a common BJT used in CFL.
Usually there is a smaller electrolytic capacitor that went dry,
this makes switching transistors overheat & short circuit.

Wicaksono

wrote:
Hello all,

This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one)
failed.
I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.
There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but
not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every
terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms
range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is
different with polarity reversed).
Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another
one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't
want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Francesco

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:07:49 -0700 (PDT), Wicaksono
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Maybe that is a MJE13003, a common BJT used in CFL.
Usually there is a smaller electrolytic capacitor that went dry,
this makes switching transistors overheat & short circuit.

Your post jogged my memory.

Here are a bunch of reverse engineered CFL circuits, many of which use
MJE13003 transistors:

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21 Set, 09:07, Wicaksono wrote:
Maybe that is a MJE13003, a common BJT used in CFL.
Usually there is a smaller electrolytic capacitor that went dry,
this makes switching transistors overheat & short circuit.

Yes, it's definitely an MJE13003 clone, unfortunately it's not easy to
find
a TO-126 equivalent here. Ordering online woult cost way more than the
ballast is worth.
Thanks anyway, learning is always good.

Best regards
Francesco

18W electronic ballast repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 September 30th 06 01:22 PM
Electronic Ballast Jim M. Electronics Repair 5 May 10th 05 03:29 AM
Electronic ballast. Terry Home Repair 3 December 22nd 04 10:16 PM
Can I replace a magnetic ballast with an electronic ballast? O.B. Home Repair 9 September 23rd 04 04:18 PM
Can I replace a magnetic ballast with an electronic ballast? O.B. Home Ownership 1 September 13th 04 12:13 AM