Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default electronic ballast repair

In article
,
wrote:
This little electronic ballast for a 11W fluorescent tube (2 pin one)
failed.
I found a bad electrolitic a fried 1.2 ohm resistor and a shorted
active device which I failed to identify. Looks like a TO-126
transistor, it is marked Si 1300313.
There's another identical transistor, but either is burned too (but
not shorted like the other) or isn't either BJT nor mosfet as every
terminal has some measurable resistance (in the hundreds of ohms
range) with every other terminal, either polarity (but resistance is
different with polarity reversed).
Any hint on how to identify this? Would be easier to just buy another
one, but this stupid thing failed after only 8 months use, I wouldn't
want to change ballasts more often than lamps.

You can sometimes wreck a similar sized CFL and use the ballast from that.
Cheaper than buying spare parts.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW