Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Canon Powershot A75 goes psychedelic

After 4 years of bulletproof service, my Canon digital camera has gone
goofy.

On July 21st it shot a few "purple shots":
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/IMG_2515.jpg

On July 26th, it was normal again.

Then on Aug 29th, it went psychedelic and never came back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/IMG_2531.jpg
(this is a photo of a guitar)

The day it happened, I took the camera out of a nice air-conditioned house
and into the usual 95°Texas summer day so I'm wondering if condensation
hosed the CCD or something. I find the fact that it "healed itself" once
encouraging, but after several days there's no improvement.

Given that it's only a $200 camera, I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it to
send it to Canon's service facility. If it's really hosed, I figure I might
as well open it up and see if there's anything obviously wrong inside.

Any ideas here as to what it might be?

Dallas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:56:37 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

[...]

Yep. See:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&f categoryid=221&modelid=8776
Canon will fix it for free.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yep. See:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&f categoryid=221&modelid=8776
Canon will fix it for free.
Jeff Liebermann

Holy sh*t Jeff... how did you do that?

I think you got it... I think I owe ya big time.

[displaying thumbs up]

Dallas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dallas wrote:
Yep. See:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?

act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid= 221&modelid=8776
Canon will fix it for free.
Jeff Liebermann

Holy sh*t Jeff... how did you do that?

I think you got it... I think I owe ya big time.

[displaying thumbs up]

Dallas

Me too as we have one of the affected camcorders with that problem.
Thanks!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:17:03 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

Yep. See:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&f categoryid=221&modelid=8776
Canon will fix it for free.
Jeff Liebermann

Holy sh*t Jeff... how did you do that?

Pornographic memory perhaps. Actually, someone had previously asked a
similar question about different Canon camera about a year ago. I
supplies a partial answer. Someone else pointed out it was a chronic
problem with some Canon cameras and posted the URL. I added it to my
bookmark mess and produced it when you asked.

Incidentally, be careful how you handle the lens. Get a little dirt
or crud into the telescoping mechanism, and it jams, yielding an E18
error:
http://www.e18error.com
That's how I obtained 3 of my Canon cameras. Users got an E18 error,
jammed the lens mechanism, or both. Canon wasn't very interested in
fixing their design problem, so I bought the cameras for peanuts.
Repair is fairly straight forward, but takes 2-3 hours per camera.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t102982-e_18_problem
The problem seems to be caused most often when the lens is extended
when the camera is inside some kind of camera bag or holder. Also,
there were 2 other cameras with E18 errors that I couldn't fix. They
were so full of semi-hardened drywall dust and gypsum cement, that I
declared them to be spare parts cameras.

I think you got it... I think I owe ya big time.
[displaying thumbs up]
Dallas

Well, I haven't had the oportunity to use the Canon warranty. I'm a
big fan of Canon cameras and have 4 of them (S230, S5-IS, A40, A60).
The A60 may potentially have a problem, but so far, no CCD failure
yet.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote
Repair is fairly straight forward, but takes 2-3 hours per camera.

Woof! That's a big tear-down.. I think I'll just baby the camera and hope
it never happens.

I called Canon... they're emailing me a label to send the camera back to
them.

Again, Thanks!

Dallas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:40:34 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote
Repair is fairly straight forward, but takes 2-3 hours per camera.

Woof! That's a big tear-down.. I think I'll just baby the camera and hope
it never happens.

2-3 hours is typical depending on how you do it. You can spend 2.5
hours carefully disassembling it, making photos as you go along. It
then takes only an additional 0.5 hrs to reassemble it. Or, you can
rapidly tear it apart in 0.5 hours, and then waste 2.5 hrs trying to
remember where things went. Either way, it's 3 hours.

I called Canon... they're emailing me a label to send the camera back to
them.

Very good.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dallas" wrote in
m:

[...]

Dallas. Read this:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?
act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid= 221&modelid=8776

Your A75 is listed on this notice about the defective CCD imagers.

I found a nice A70 in a thrift shop with no picture. I stumbled upon
this webpage looking for service on it.

I sent Canon and email admitting I was not the original owner. They
emailed me back, immediately, with a USP shipping label to print out and
put on the box, paying the shipping out. They emailed me twice more
saying they had inspected the camera and yes it was the CCD and they
would fix it for free. They fixed it and emailed me when it shipped a
week later....repaired, cleaned internally, aligned, lenses recoated
very nicely and all....at no charge.

Guess who I recommend for cameras, printers, and anything else Canon
makes.....(c;

First class service from a First Class company. Someone must be there
to sign for the camera's return on FEDEX Two Day Express!...all free.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Larry wrote:
snip
Dallas. Read this:
[...]

Same story for our Canon camcorder. It was back in 7 days with no
charges at all. We currently have 2 Canon digitals and 2 Canon 35mm
cameras besides the camcorder. I've been happy with all of them and
will happily buy another Canon when the time comes.