Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Canon Powershot A75 goes psychedelic

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:17:03 -0500, "Dallas"
wrote:

Yep. See:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&f categoryid=221&modelid=8776
Canon will fix it for free.
Jeff Liebermann

Holy sh*t Jeff... how did you do that?

Pornographic memory perhaps. Actually, someone had previously asked a
similar question about different Canon camera about a year ago. I
supplies a partial answer. Someone else pointed out it was a chronic
problem with some Canon cameras and posted the URL. I added it to my
bookmark mess and produced it when you asked.

Incidentally, be careful how you handle the lens. Get a little dirt
or crud into the telescoping mechanism, and it jams, yielding an E18
error:
http://www.e18error.com
That's how I obtained 3 of my Canon cameras. Users got an E18 error,
jammed the lens mechanism, or both. Canon wasn't very interested in
fixing their design problem, so I bought the cameras for peanuts.
Repair is fairly straight forward, but takes 2-3 hours per camera.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t102982-e_18_problem
The problem seems to be caused most often when the lens is extended
when the camera is inside some kind of camera bag or holder. Also,
there were 2 other cameras with E18 errors that I couldn't fix. They
were so full of semi-hardened drywall dust and gypsum cement, that I
declared them to be spare parts cameras.

I think you got it... I think I owe ya big time.
[displaying thumbs up]
Dallas

Well, I haven't had the oportunity to use the Canon warranty. I'm a
big fan of Canon cameras and have 4 of them (S230, S5-IS, A40, A60).
The A60 may potentially have a problem, but so far, no CCD failure
yet.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558