Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Newbie Question on Flyback Primary Winding

I just bought a flyback tester and have a drawer full of flybacks that
I want to test. How do I know what pins to connect it to? The
directions say to simple hook it up to the primary windings, but which
pins are these?

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

To know this you will really need the schematics from the
manufactures.

Remember that your tester is only doing a basic reactance test of the
device. To properly test a flyback it has to be properly driven and
loaded. Then the current pull and various voltages have to be
varified. It is not a simple process to properly test a flyback!

Jerry G.

I just bought a flyback tester and have a drawer full of flybacks that
I want to test. How do I know what pins to connect it to? The
directions say to simple hook it up to the primary windings, but which
pins are these?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:31:01 -0700 (PDT), put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I just bought a flyback tester and have a drawer full of flybacks that
I want to test. How do I know what pins to connect it to? The
directions say to simple hook it up to the primary windings, but which
pins are these?

Thanks

Go here ...

http://www.hrdiemen.es/products/inde...anguage=eng-GB

.... and find the equivalent FBT. Then view the schematic of the
equivalent.

For example, this is the HR6214 FBT:
http://www.hrdiemen.es/products/inde...mas/HR6214.gif

The primary winding is between pins 1 and 17.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message
To know this you will really need the schematics from the
manufactures.

Remember that your tester is only doing a basic reactance test of the
device ...

snip

That may not be strictly true. If it's a Bob Parker design flyback tester
(now reworked and rebranded by another company), then it actually 'rings'
the tranny, a test that shows up most common defects such as shorted turns
on the primary, and short or leaky diodes in the HV stack.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

With any of these flyback checkers they will not show high voltage
breakdown, or critical problems with the flyback. This is only a
simple test! I have been through this!

Jerry G.

--

"Jerry G." wrote in message

To know this you will really need the schematics from the
manufactures.

Remember that your tester is only doing a basic reactance test of the
device ...

snip

That may not be strictly true. If it's a Bob Parker design flyback tester
(now reworked and rebranded by another company), then it actually 'rings'
the tranny, a test that shows up most common defects such as shorted turns
on the primary, and short or leaky diodes in the HV stack.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message

To know this you will really need the schematics from the
manufactures.

Remember that your tester is only doing a basic reactance test of the
device ...

snip

That may not be strictly true. If it's a Bob Parker design flyback tester
(now reworked and rebranded by another company), then it actually 'rings'
the tranny, a test that shows up most common defects such as shorted turns
on the primary, and short or leaky diodes in the HV stack.

Arfa

With any of these flyback checkers they will not show high voltage
breakdown, or critical problems with the flyback. This is only a
simple test! I have been through this!

Jerry G.

Oh, I don't dispute that a BP will not pick up problems such as HV
breakdown, Jerry, but that is usually - or at least mostly - self evident in
that you can see the miniature lightning flying out of the pin hole, or
smell the ozone being generated, or see the effects on the screen as
brushing, or hear the effects on the audio, or even just hear it physically
hissing. The only point that I was making is that the BP unit is not a
'simple' reactance tester, but does a test which better simulates the
conditions that such a tranny operates in, when doing its normal job. Almost
any deviation from its correctly servicable parameters, will alter the way
in which the tranny rings, which will be picked up by the tester. Of course,
the results are open to a degree of experience and interpretation, in much
the same way as those from an ESR meter are, and a new, or at least 'known
good' tranny is useful to compare by, but never-the-less, the BP is a useful
tool even on its own, for picking up "most common defects", which is all I
was actually saying ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message

With any of these flyback checkers they will not show high voltage
breakdown, or critical problems with the flyback. This is only a
simple test! I have been through this!

Jerry G.

But the Sencore drive tests catch most of them. It applies a 25vp-p pulse
to the primary and you should get out 500-600vdc on most integrated
flybacks. It is far better than ringing because it tests the high voltage
rectifier, if only at a fraction of the output. It won't catch a leaky
insulator, but it will get most bad flybacks otherwise.

Leonard