Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bad IDE Interface ...

Here's one I've never had before. Earlier this week, my wife informed me
that a business-related CD ROM that she uses regularly on my machine, was
failing to read. She was right. Further investigation revealed that the
machine, a Dell, could no longer see my 250GB data drive either. This drive
is a Seagate, and was replaced probably a little over a year ago, because
its predecessor, which had been in there a long time, had begun dying with
nasty noises and erratic reads. Both the CD ROM drive and the Seagate, are
on IDE channel 1, in cable select format.

My first suspicion was that something had happened to the mother board's IDE
driver IC, but the Windoze diagnostic said that it was ok. Further checks
disconnecting stuff, showed the problem to be the Seagate drive that was
hanging up the channel 1 IDE bus. As soon as it was disconnected, the CD ROM
drive came back on line.

I got a new 320GB drive from Maplin's for 49 quid (how good a deal is that
?) and was able to restore its contents from the external backup drive that
I have, and which does a backup automatically every night.

I've never had a drive fail in this way before, problems usually being motor
or bearing related. Anyone else had it ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

snip recitation of drive electrical failure

I've never had a drive fail in this way before, problems usually being motor
or bearing related. Anyone else had it ?

Sure, many times in fact. Most of my IDE drive electrical failures
didn't hang the bus, but a few have.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 01:34:03 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

[...]

Yes. At least once. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

I've never had one lock up the IDE bus like that, but I have had the drive
electronics fail many times. What kind of drive was it? I used to have
particularly bad luck with western digital caviar series but that was a long
time ago. .

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

As noted above Mike, a Seagate. I'm sitting here looking at it now. Says
it's a "Barracuda 7200.8 250 Gb"

It didn't hang Windoze as was suggested by Franc. It just hung the IDE 1
channel permanently. Windoze could not see either device on that channel,
but otherwise, worked normally. As soon as the Seagate was unplugged from
the bus cable, the other device on that channel - a CD ROM drive - became
visible again. New drive installed on the same cable, works just fine, as
the Seagate did before this failure.

Now, slight change of tack. Can anyone see anything 'odd' about this post or
the copy of it, (header, body, routing, whatever) compared to any of my
previous or current posts ? For some reason, I cannot see it here on the
Virgin Media news server, which is what lead to me reposting it. Is anybody
else that can see it ok, on the Virgin Media (formerly NTL) server ? This is
the second time that I have had a new thread post fail to appear - to me at
least - since they changed server a couple of months back. In years of
posting on the old server, it had never once happened.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

It didn't hang Windoze as was suggested by Franc. It just hung the IDE 1
channel permanently. Windoze could not see either device on that channel,
but otherwise, worked normally. As soon as the Seagate was unplugged from
the bus cable, the other device on that channel - a CD ROM drive - became
visible again. New drive installed on the same cable, works just fine, as
the Seagate did before this failure.

Which Windoze ?

XP is particularly fussy if IIRC it can't find a valid partition table of errrr,
some other file it puts in the root.

Try it on W2k or W98SE and see if it's different.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

It didn't hang Windoze as was suggested by Franc. It just hung the IDE 1
channel permanently. Windoze could not see either device on that channel,
but otherwise, worked normally. As soon as the Seagate was unplugged from
the bus cable, the other device on that channel - a CD ROM drive - became
visible again. New drive installed on the same cable, works just fine, as
the Seagate did before this failure.

Which Windoze ?

XP is particularly fussy if IIRC it can't find a valid partition table of
errrr,
some other file it puts in the root.

Try it on W2k or W98SE and see if it's different.

Graham

It is an XP machine. When I've got the time (and inclination !), I'll try it
in the W2k Pro m/c in the workshop.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 01:43:03 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Now, slight change of tack. Can anyone see anything 'odd' about this
post or the copy of it, (header, body, routing, whatever) compared to
any of my previous or current posts ?

69.16.177.246.MISMATCH!cyclone03.ams!news.ams.news hosting.com!npeersf02.ams!
newsfe16.ams2.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

That's a pretty long path just to get here.

Hmmm. It certainly is.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 6 jul, 17:34, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Here's one I've never had before. Earlier this week, my wife informed me

This reminds me of an experience I had years ago with an old 386 Pc.
the IDE would lock up and I traced that to a faulty CD-ROM drive. it
was quite a recent drive too (20x), which had been fitted later. so,
it can happen....
-B

IDE interface bad ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 14 July 31st 08 11:50 PM
Interface seek NulModem Electronics 0 November 1st 04 02:48 PM
Telephone PC Interface Jay Electronics Repair 14 September 18th 04 04:51 AM
Tv modulator interface Ambrogio Electronics Repair 0 November 10th 03 09:18 PM
IDE Interface Ed Stevens Electronics 1 June 23rd 03 07:06 PM