Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IDE interface bad ...

Here's one I've never had before. Earlier this week, my wife informed me
that a business-related CD ROM that she uses regularly on my machine, was
failing to read. She was right. Further investigation revealed that the
machine, a Dell, could no longer see my 250GB data drive either. This drive
is a Seagate, and was replaced probably a little over a year ago, because
its predecessor, which had been in there a long time, had begun dying with
nasty noises and erratic reads. Both the CD ROM drive and the Seagate, are
on IDE channel 1, in cable select format.

My first suspicion was that something had happened to the mother board's IDE
driver IC, but the Windoze diagnostic said that it was ok. Further checks
disconnecting stuff, showed the problem to be the Seagate drive that was
hanging up the channel 1 IDE bus. As soon as it was disconnected, the CD ROM
drive came back on line.

I got a new 320GB drive from Maplin's for 49 quid (how good a deal is that
?) and was able to restore its contents from the external backup drive that
I have, and which does a backup automatically every night.

I've never had a drive fail in this way before, problems usually being motor
or bearing related. Anyone else had it ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had a non-mechanical problem with a hard drive that started acting screwy
and wouldn't format.

I also had an ASUS CD ROM drive fail because of PROM failure. The symptoms
were weird.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , "Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

If it was locking up the bus it was most likely neither, it was most likely
the electronics on the drive that was going out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

God works in mysterious ways ! ;~)

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I did but in my case it was very clear what the problem was. The loud
noises coming from the hard drive game me a good indication of what
was causing the problem. In my case I even if it was the mobo or DVD
drive, both were under warranty and I had put the hard drive in my old
PC in there to transfer everything and just left it in there. I
suppose it was lucky that I had not decided to use it to store data.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:43:03 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

My first suspicion was that something had happened to the mother board's IDE
driver IC, but the Windoze diagnostic said that it was ok. Further checks
disconnecting stuff, showed the problem to be the Seagate drive that was
hanging up the channel 1 IDE bus. As soon as it was disconnected, the CD ROM
drive came back on line.

I've never had a drive fail in this way before, problems usually being motor
or bearing related. Anyone else had it ?

Arfa

If a drive has bad blocks, then Windows will appear to hang while it
repeatedly retries the affected reads or writes. If a drive doesn't
spin up, then the BIOS may appear to hang while it is waiting for it
to do so. Eventually it should time out and move on.

I have two Fujitsu drives that have a faulty Cirrus Logic IC. This
model series featured in a law suit. The failure symptoms are
sometimes as you describe, while at other times I will get reams of
bad blocks which come good on the next try.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Very common ! If its still under warranty return it to Seagate. Since
the lead free thing I've seem a number of problems like this. A common
one is the the solder joints behind the connector seem to fail. I just
go over the bad ones with a soldering iron and fresh solder. You can
actually see the cracks with a 20X loupe.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

You try getting Fujitsu to replace them ! No way ! I will not under
any circumstances buy their drives... Not even if they gave them
away !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:43:33 +0100, Baron wrote:

Franc Zabkar wrote:

[...]

I had problems with a Dell Poweredge server and 1 of the 3 factory
installed Fujitsu drives 1 day after setting it up. They sent another
Fujitsu drive and that lasted a month. Dell sent yet another
replacement and a few weeks later one of the original drives failed. I
talked the owner into buying 3 Seagate drives and I reinstalled the
operating system and restored data from the backup. The server is
still in use after 4 years.

I've never had problems with Dell's services. Fujitsu will tell you to
return the drive to the original vendor. Which is fine if the original
vendor still exists. An awful lot of Fujitsu drives were sold by
vendors that vanished within a few months. I know of one that traded
under three different names from the same address. But none of those
names were the one that he used to make purchases with, from the
manufacturers !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

In one of the latest trade rags I get, there was an article citing the
shorter than usual life of the larger (e.g. 320 GB) hard drives. One
mfg in particular (and I don't remember the name) was having more
trouble than the others, but, they all were having probs. Various
reasons were given, but the two things most discussed were heat and the
high density on the platters...So, at the very least, make sure the disk
is well ventilated...You can't do much about the other...
John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Hosed controller board, probably shorting a few data lines.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hi, why have you got it in cable select ? i thought u are supposed to
have it as master and slave ?
have u tried it like that ?
mark k

"nobody " wrote in message
news

Interface seek NulModem Electronics 0 November 1st 04 02:48 PM
Telephone PC Interface Jay Electronics Repair 14 September 18th 04 04:51 AM
Tv modulator interface Ambrogio Electronics Repair 0 November 10th 03 09:18 PM
IDE Interface Ed Stevens Electronics 1 June 23rd 03 07:06 PM