Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Can someone help me do a minor fix to my stereo?

I have a four-year old Aiwa/Sony shelf stereo. I am having a problem with
it. With some CDs, particularly some that seem a bit lighter in weight, I am
getting a horrible whining noise and sometimes the thing even starts
skipping.

I started to get rid of the thing, but after shopping around, I discovered
that it's superior to any other shelf system I checked out, plus I
determined that I simply don't have the space, resources, etc., right now to
assemble a component setup in my bedroom, which is where this stereo is. So
I decided to keep the thing and try to get it fixed.

I know, from a Sony Technical Bulletin, that this issue is caused by an
oscillation problem with the specific Sony optical pickup (KSS-240A) that's
installed on the thing, that causes a mechanical resonance issue with the
discs as they play. I know, from a Sony Technical Bulletin, that the fix for
this is to add a brass weight (part No. 4-962-979-01) to the pickup, and a
felt washer (part No. 4-986-769-01) to the surface of the clamper that
touches the disc. The screw (part No. 7-685-134-19) that adds the weight to
the pickup replaces the screw that holds the PC board with the pots to the
laser.
I have these parts in hand from Sony, ready to install. I have spent the
morning trying to find someone to install them, since I've never done this
kind of thing before. I've discovered that no one works on stereos anymore.
I'm not surprised of this, because I'm sure they're considered kind of
disposable. But I don't want to dispose of this one when all that needs to
be done is a piece of brass screwed in somewhere and a piece of felt stuck
somewhere.

Let me take that back, there is one person in my town who will do such work,
and he's very good and quite cheap. The only problem is I might get the
stereo back around Inauguration Day ... of 2013.

So, is there anyone out there who could clue me in on just how big a deal
what I have described is to execute, whether it's something a
do-it-yourselfer should even attempt or should I still beat the bushes
trying to find somebody to do it. And if it is something simple that I could
do, could you give me "See Spot Run" simple, hand-holding directions,
starting from the moment I take the first screw out of the thing, as to how
I do it, what exactly I need to look for, what do I need to be careful of,
etc., because I really don't want to trash the thing trying to fix it.
Because I really have no clue whatsoever where or what these specific things
(clamper, PC board with pots, pickup, laser, etc.) are or look like.

Thanks in advance for any help.

minor gloat and what to do with it? Frank Boettcher Woodworking 8 April 1st 07 01:42 AM
Minor Goat Gerald Ross Woodworking 4 August 14th 06 06:10 PM
Minor gloat Phil Laird Woodworking 6 September 13th 05 11:40 PM
How to connect JVC Stereo Cassete Deck(KD-AD2),Stereo Integrated Amplifier(A-S7),Stereo Tuner(T-V3) to RCA Television(FMR 7277ER) Thaqalain Electronics Repair 0 July 30th 05 08:33 AM
Panasonic VCR quit playing back in hi-fi stereo, still records in hi-fi stereo larrymoencurly Electronics Repair 3 August 17th 03 11:08 PM