Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default KLH21 - Looking for a transistor sub

Hi,
I'm looking for the elusive audio driver transistor in the KLH 21-
series radios. It is house marked as KLH5351. Early 70s.

Any help would be appreciated. The normal sources are turning up dry.

TIA,
Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Do you have access to the NTE catalog? (I think it's available on line.) If
you have the patience, you might be able to find a useable substitute by
studying the descriptions, looking for voltage/current specs and uses.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

exray wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for the elusive audio driver transistor in the KLH 21-
series radios. It is house marked as KLH5351. Early 70s.

Any help would be appreciated. The normal sources are turning up dry.

TIA,
Bill

Bill,

What case is it in, a TO-220 (plastic case with a metal tab) which
means your radio is likely to be a 21-II, or a TO-1, a small metal
cylinder?(as used in the original, white grill clothed radios) In this
case I'm assuming the output transistors, not the drivers. If I'm wrong
about that and you do mean a driver transistor, please let us know the
case style and (if known) polarity.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Tim,
Its the driver transistor, Q5 in the schematic. PNP, TO-92 style
plastic case.

Tnx,
Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

exray wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking for the elusive audio driver transistor in the KLH 21-
series radios. It is house marked as KLH5351. Early 70s.

Any help would be appreciated. The normal sources are turning up dry.

It's not listed in the 1985 ECG index (ECG212M). There are a few KLH
parts listed but not that one.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

exray wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking for the elusive audio driver transistor in the KLH 21-
series radios. It is house marked as KLH5351. Early 70s.

Any help would be appreciated. The normal sources are turning up dry.

It's not listed in the 1985 ECG index (ECG212M). There are a few KLH
parts listed but not that one.

FWIW, 1996 ECG has a KLH5353 = ECG197:
PNP -Si, AF Pwr Output
Vcbo = 90 V
Vceo = 80 V
Vebo = 5 V
Ic = 7 A
Pd = 50 W
f sub t = 0.8 MHz min
h sub FE = 20 min
case: TO-220

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 3, 2:00 pm, msg wrote:

FWIW, 1996 ECG has a KLH5353 = ECG197:

Yep, thats one of the output transistors for the same model. Its even
in my old 1973 SK book The other half of that complimentary pair
is the 5352.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:10:38 -0800 (PST), exray
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Mar 3, 2:00 pm, msg wrote:

FWIW, 1996 ECG has a KLH5353 = ECG197:

Yep, thats one of the output transistors for the same model. Its even
in my old 1973 SK book The other half of that complimentary pair
is the 5352.

FWIW, the NTE196/ECG196 is the complement to the NTE197/ECG197:
http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte196.pdf

So KLH5352 must be equivalent to NTE196.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

exray wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for the elusive audio driver transistor in the KLH 21-
series radios. It is house marked as KLH5351. Early 70s.

Any help would be appreciated. The normal sources are turning up dry.

TIA,
Bill

Bill,

Your radio is a KLH-21-II

I worked on 2 of these last year, one of mine and a friends. I've just
opened mine, and its NOT the one that I replaced the driver transistor
on. However, it is a Motorola PNP bi-polar transistor in a TO-92
package. No reason not to use another Motorola device, like the 2N5400:

PNP
To-92
120V(CEO)
600 ma
625mW
40-180 beta
same pin out
really inexpensive and readily available.

If you feel really uncomfortable about this substitute, I can ask my
friend to take his apart and see what we used it it.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 3, 5:43 pm, Tim Schwartz wrote:

Your radio is a KLH-21-II

I worked on 2 of these last year, one of mine and a friends. I've just
opened mine, and its NOT the one that I replaced the driver transistor
on. However, it is a Motorola PNP bi-polar transistor in a TO-92
package. No reason not to use another Motorola device, like the 2N5400:

If you feel really uncomfortable about this substitute, I can ask my
friend to take his apart and see what we used it it.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Actually mine is the 21 AM/FM but apparently this Q5 is the same
according to the older SAMS info vs what is in the radio. If it
wouldn't be too much trouble I really would appreciate some
confirmation on what actually worked. I've got to do this via mail
order and would like to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 3, 1:10*pm, exray wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:00 pm, msg wrote:

FWIW, 1996 ECG has a KLH5353 = ECG197:

Yep, thats one of the output transistors for the same model.

That's useful info. KLH was a US company, either RCA or Motorola
would be likely transistor suppliers. ECG 196/197 crossrefs
to the 2N6292 and 2N6107. So with those as the final, the
driver would likely be 80V, 250 mA rated... like MPS6717 (NPN)
and MPS6729 (PNP)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 3, 6:35 pm, whit3rd wrote:

Thanks folks, I think one of the s.e.r fans is bailing me out of my
dilemma via email. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice.

-Bill

transistor Imran Electronics Repair 10 August 23rd 06 11:41 AM
Another odd transistor Ernie Werbel Electronics 0 August 6th 06 05:08 AM
Need transistor sub Bill Robinson Electronics Repair 2 June 19th 06 12:19 PM
SMD transistor ID TA7205 Electronics Repair 1 September 2nd 04 02:40 PM
Transistor CS1092G in Sutton 8 transistor AM-radio ? Matti Kaki Electronics Repair 8 October 22nd 03 09:13 PM