Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default toshiba portable

Hello, I am hoping someone may have an answer for me. I have a toshiba
portable tv and all of a sudden when you turn the set on manually, it
will continue to change channels over and over as if it where stuck in
auto program mode. Not always but when you try to lower or raise the
volume, the tv will take you to the OSD for set-.up. What gives?, it
was running perfect until a few days ago. I have run the whole gambit
with the remote, changed batteries, and used the remote on another tv
and it seems to be fine. I was hoping for a quick fix as I don't think
it would be cost effective to take it to a shop, as it is about 4yrs
old.If you can help I would be glad to hear any suggestions you might
have. Thanks in advance. -J
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 23, 6:36*am, jinxy wrote:
Hello, I am hoping someone may have an answer for me. I have a toshiba
portable tv and all of a sudden when you turn the set on manually, it
will continue to change channels over and over as if it where stuck in
auto program mode. Not always but when you try to lower or raise the
volume, the tv will take you to the OSD for set-.up. What gives?, it
was running perfect until a few days ago. I have run the whole gambit
with the remote, changed batteries, and used the remote on another tv
and it seems to be fine. I was hoping for a quick fix as I don't think
it would be cost effective to take it to a shop, as it is about 4yrs
old.If you can help I would be glad to hear any suggestions you might
have. Thanks in advance. -J

Sounds like the button for the channel up or down changing is stuck.
Try a fairly good whack on the bottom front of the set near where the
channel selection buttons are located and see if that helps.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Open the set up and inspect the circuit board where the switches are
mounted, look for any corrosion or foreign matter around the swithches.
Check for physically stuck switches. Common problem is improper cleaning of
the face of the crt, folk spray cleaner on the front of the crt allowing it
to leak down past the front cabinet bezel area, eventually accumulating on
the circuit board, normally near the switches. Over a peroid of time the
cleaning fluids contiminate the switch contacts and other items in the same
general area.