Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony 32" TV with colored upper corners

Hi,

I got a TV from somebody, a Sony KV-32WS3D (chassis AE-3)
The upper corners are very colored, see this picture from a teletext
page which should only contain the colors white and blue:
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6980/dsc03030pg9.jpg

I checked the degauss coils: OK, PTC also OK, the degauss sound can be
heard when the unit is switched on
The deflection yoke was a little bit loose, when I moved it on the
neck of the CRT the colors on the screen are changing but I cannot
get the right colors in the upper corners, in every position of the
yoke, very strange....
There are no magnets from e.g. speakers in the neighbourhood.
The support rubbers for the yoke are still in place except one. But in
every position of the yoke there are colored upper corners....

There are more coils around the CRT: rotation coil. After
disconnecting this one, still bad colors
Another coil is connected to a small PCB at the right side of the
chassis.
Near the connector I read: CY+ and CY- Is this a convergence coil?

Convergence is still OK, only that colored corners...
(oh yes, sometimes several channels are not showing picture, only snow
or a snowy picture)
After a while the picture comes back. I think a bad contact inside the
tuner....)

I cannot believe there is something wrong with the CRT itself.....

Regards,

Arjan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6 feb, 17:26, Arjan wrote:
[...]

correct link to the pictu http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03030pg9.jpg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 6, 12:03*pm, Arjan wrote:
On 6 feb, 17:26, Arjan wrote:

[...]

correct link to the pictuhttp://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c03030pg9.jpg- Hide quoted text -

It is quite possible something is magnetized that is not within the
area of the internal degaussing coils. Try a strong magnet near the
worst corner and rotate it rapidly and continually while moving it
away from the set until you can't see any effect of the picture color
in the corner, Then move an additional 3 feet away before stopping
the rotating. See if that helps at all, then also degauss the set
again. Do that degaussing after the set has been idle/off for at
least 30 minutes to allow the degaussing components to start cold. I
personally always use an external degaussing coil whenever I am at all
suspicious about the interrnal cois as they do not put out a really
strong degaussing fiield.

Please post the results.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:03 pm, Arjan wrote:
On 6 feb, 17:26, Arjan wrote:

[...]

That's useful for a test, but anything that puts out a strong *AC*
magnetic field, like a soldering gun (not iron) or a bulk tape eraser
will work better. The permanent magnet might tell you if there's a
degauss issue, but you can't use it to fix the problem. I've actually
degaussed CRTs with the above.

Maybe a transformer? I dunno, I haven't tried that....

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arjan

I've had this problem with Sony sets having bad purity on
the lower left corner. Moving the set around the room to
realign relative to the Earth's magnetic field only helped
a little. Yes, in this case, it was the tube, it had to
be replaced.

Colin

Arjan wrote:
On 6 feb, 17:26, Arjan wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AJ AJ is offline

Suggest getting the SONY Service literature for the item and then attempt
both purity and registration setup. Confirm the arpeture grill assembly is
not loose, lightly tapping on the screen while displaying a solid colour.
Appropiate positioning of the convergence yoke including spacing wedges
will resolve most of the purity issues, spot magnets properly installed
will clear up the corners.
Once purity is considered proper then you can attempt the convergence,
pincushion, keystone, etc. Be advised, there is no quick dirty fix to the
problem. Attemping to degauss the crt with external means can actually
permantly damage the arpeture grill assembly rendering the crt not
repairable, Per SONY DATUM!

Correct adjustments can take up to two hours for even trained professionals.

Arjan wrote:
On 6 feb, 17:26, Arjan wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

Heh I've used a Weller 140 watt gun to degauss.

I wound my own degaussing coils about 40 years ago. You could see the
CRT flicker at 20 feet when it was tuned on, and turned to face the
CRT. I make a bunch of them and sold all but one of them. They had 20
foot power cords and a heavy duty industrial chrome push button so you
didn't accidentally leave it turned on. I still have the one. they
were made with surplus 17 AWG DE/DC magnet wire. They were wound on a
plywood jig, then tied off and covered with two layers of 3M #66
electrical tape. The switch was mounted on a curved aluminum plate,
wired to the coil and cord, then the plate was over wrapped with more
tape.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7 feb, 22:12, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:

Heh I've used a Weller 140 watt gun to degauss.

* *I wound my own degaussing coils about 40 years ago. You could see the
CRT flicker at 20 feet when it was tuned on, and turned to face the
CRT. *I make a bunch of them and sold all but one of them. They had 20
foot power cords and a heavy duty industrial chrome push button *so you
didn't accidentally leave it turned on. *I still have the one. *they
were made with surplus 17 AWG DE/DC magnet wire. *They were wound on a
plywood jig, then tied off and covered with two layers of 3M #66
electrical tape. *The switch was mounted on a curved aluminum plate,
wired to the coil and cord, then the plate was over wrapped with more
tape.

I cannot imagine that the CRT is so magnetized.....
The TV did not have this problems when it still was at the owner where
I got this TV set from...
I only dismounted it and cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner, because it
was very dirty and dusty inside.
The original problem was that vertical black and white bars were
visible in the picture, even without input signal.
This was caused by a bad capacitor in the power supply line of the
video amp.
But after replacing of the cap it turned out that the corners of the
picture where colored....
Can it be a loose contact somewhere from a coil?
I checked all the plugs and they are all fitted OK.
It was maybe a good idea to turn the set on before dismounting....
Transportation went without problems, the set was not put down very
hard.
I moved the set around the room, but the color spots are still
there.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I cannot imagine that the CRT is so magnetized.....

snip

The tube can pick up enough residual magnetism to cause your problem simply
from being moved. They are very sensitive this way (the Earth's magnetic
field is the cause of this phenomenon) but in case it wasn't mentioned
earlier, make sure there are no speakers near the TV.

It's also possible that the degauss circuit has failed or a correction
magnet has fallen off the tube, or somehow the purity rings got jostled.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:12:29 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Heh I've used a Weller 140 watt gun to degauss.

I wound my own degaussing coils about 40 years ago. You could see the
CRT flicker at 20 feet when it was tuned on, and turned to face the
CRT. I make a bunch of them and sold all but one of them. They had 20
foot power cords and a heavy duty industrial chrome push button so you
didn't accidentally leave it turned on. I still have the one. they
were made with surplus 17 AWG DE/DC magnet wire. They were wound on a
plywood jig, then tied off and covered with two layers of 3M #66
electrical tape. The switch was mounted on a curved aluminum plate,
wired to the coil and cord, then the plate was over wrapped with more
tape.

Wow I bet those kicked some ass. I bought one in the mid 70's from a
friend who did RCA repair. It was one of the good old ones and I still own
it although I haven't used it in some time.

I'll post some pictures when I dig it out. I've forgot how much
copper it has. You could not only degauss a TV set, you could
demagnetize hand tools, and wrist watches.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

I use a degaussing coil I salvaged from a junk TV and put a power cord on.
It gets hot in a hurry, two in series and attached together would probably
be a better idea. You can bundle them into a more compact circle than they
were originally.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:

I use a degaussing coil I salvaged from a junk TV and put a power cord on.
It gets hot in a hurry, two in series and attached together would probably
be a better idea. You can bundle them into a more compact circle than they
were originally.

I think I used 200 turns of 17 AWG on a 12 inch form. It HAS been
almost 40 years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

A "Fixer-Upper" HeyBub Home Repair 0 September 4th 07 01:58 AM
Where can I buy parts online for a "Sony TCWR635S Home Cassette Deck" ? Jim Electronics Repair 6 July 8th 07 02:47 AM
Question about rigid inside drywall corners and plain tape corners Eigenvector Home Repair 1 December 25th 06 11:18 AM
Sony Discman -- skiips on upper tracks Dan Dubosky Electronics Repair 17 November 16th 06 08:21 PM
Bosch miter finder, outside corners vs inside corners Perry Templeton Woodworking 1 January 13th 06 05:44 AM