Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default What voltage is this cap?

Axial electrolytic
approx 0.5 inch (12 mm) diam, 1.0 inch (25 mm) length

Markings:
HGC
CP-C
2J104K
123

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J"
voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

There are no manufacturer markings (logo, etc.), just plain gray shrink
tubing with the above alphanumeric markings.

This is used in a single-phase 240VAC low current box fan speed controller (1
TRIAC is the main current controller).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John E. wrote in
obal.net:

Axial electrolytic
approx 0.5 inch (12 mm) diam, 1.0 inch (25 mm) length

Markings:
HGC
CP-C
2J104K
123

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J"
voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

There are no manufacturer markings (logo, etc.), just plain gray shrink
tubing with the above alphanumeric markings.

This is used in a single-phase 240VAC low current box fan speed
controller (1 TRIAC is the main current controller).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

That's a damn small capacitance for that size, though I agree with it, so it
implies a high voltage to match what you say. I first thought of 123 as
meaning 12,000 millivolts, after the convention of 104 for capacitance, but I
never heard of anyone actually doing it this way, and it's definitely not
12V.

Is the writing clear? Any chance that 123 is actually something else?
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote in message
obal.net...
Axial electrolytic
approx 0.5 inch (12 mm) diam, 1.0 inch (25 mm) length

Markings:
HGC
CP-C
2J104K
123

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J"
voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

There are no manufacturer markings (logo, etc.), just plain gray shrink
tubing with the above alphanumeric markings.

This is used in a single-phase 240VAC low current box fan speed controller
(1
TRIAC is the main current controller).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
John English

It would have to withstand at least 240*1.41 =340V. I would suggest that it
would be a minimum of 400V and possibly 500V.

--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John E. wrote:

Axial electrolytic
approx 0.5 inch (12 mm) diam, 1.0 inch (25 mm) length

Markings:
HGC
CP-C
2J104K
123

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J"
voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

There are no manufacturer markings (logo, etc.), just plain gray shrink
tubing with the above alphanumeric markings.

This is used in a single-phase 240VAC low current box fan speed controller (1
TRIAC is the main current controller).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

..1 uf 1200 volt cap !

makes since to me..
most likely a snubber or bypass cap of some kind.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E."

Axial electrolytic ...

** I bet it is NOT !!!

It has no polarity markings - right ?

Both ends look the same - right ?

Then it is an oil filled paper/film type.

" 2J104K " = 0.1uF, 10 % tolerance and probably the 200 volt DC rated.

........ Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

In article aW6pj.39189$ow.36625@pd7urf1no,
Don Kelly wrote:
It would have to withstand at least 240*1.41 =340V. I would suggest
that it would be a minimum of 400V and possibly 500V.

In the UK where 240V is the norm, 400V would be the normal rating for a
motor start/run cap

--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.

See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote in message
obal.net...
Axial electrolytic
approx 0.5 inch (12 mm) diam, 1.0 inch (25 mm) length

Markings:
HGC
CP-C
2J104K
123

Take a look he
http://highfields-arc.6te.net/constructors/capacit.htm
it may help.
--
People. You can't live with 'em and it's illegal to hunt them...except in
Texas.

Highfields Amateur Radio Club: http://highfields-arc.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:51:01 +0000 (GMT), Stuart
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Don Kelly wrote:
It would have to withstand at least 240*1.41 =340V. I would suggest
that it would be a minimum of 400V and possibly 500V.

In the UK where 240V is the norm, 400V would be the normal rating for a
motor start/run cap

0.1uF seems much too small for a motor start/run cap. In any case,
don't these caps have an AC rating rather than a DC rating?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

2J is a common voltage marking for 630V.

Interesting ! Any more handy tips like that ? It's a new one on me for sure.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:11:14 -0800, John E.
wrote:

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J"
voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

630VDC 0.1uF

1H = 50VDC
1J = 63VDC
2A =100VDC
2D = 200VDC
2E = 250VDC
2G = 400VDC
2J = 630VDC
3A = 1,000VDC
3B = 1250VDC
3C = 1600VDC
3D = 2,000VDC
3E = 2,500VDC

01 = 190VAC
02 = 250VAC
03 = 275VAC
04 = 300VAC
05 = 400VAC
06 = 440VAC
07 = 500VAC
08 = 600VAC

--
Peter Parry
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:52:56 +0000, Peter Parry put

wrote:

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J"
voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

630VDC 0.1uF

1H = 50VDC
1J = 63VDC
2A =100VDC

2B = 125VDC
2C = 160VDC

2D = 200VDC
2E = 250VDC

2F = 315VDC

2G = 400VDC

2H = 500VDC

2J = 630VDC
3A = 1,000VDC
3B = 1250VDC
3C = 1600VDC
3D = 2,000VDC
3E = 2,500VDC

01 = 190VAC
02 = 250VAC
03 = 275VAC
04 = 300VAC
05 = 400VAC
06 = 440VAC
07 = 500VAC
08 = 600VAC

The numbering doesn't always appear to be consistent:
http://www.taitsu.co.jp/media/english/epdf/pmsva_e.pdf

2F = 315VDC
5B = 125VAC
5E = 250VAC

http://www.kjcap.com/disc.asp

3F = 3KV DC
3G = 4KV DC
3H = 5KV DC
3I = 6KV DC

BTW, does anyone know what is meant by "POOT SIZE" and "POOT IEGTH".
:-)

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Franc Zabkar wrote in
:

BTW, does anyone know what is meant by "POOT SIZE" and "POOT IEGTH".
:-)

Poot length? Mine tend to be of the order of 400 milliseconds.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Sounds a lot more like a tubular polypropylene/film/wax or similar
capacitor than an electrolytic. Some of the better quality units
(safety ratings? Danger, Will Robinson, safety ratings! Especially in
a snubber on the AC line!) are in metal cans.

Tim.

So, how does one decisively determine the type?

There are no markings whatsoever other than the ones described. The plastic
insulation (shrink) covers all but the inner diameter of the ends. The leads
are connected to the (aluminum) end caps which are identical.
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

How about posting a link to a photo of the capacitor?
Glenn.

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=37f2909fe914b627f0b34734d478fb48
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Given the application, it must be part of some snubber and safety-
rated film caps would certainly be used in such a case.

Can you be more specific as to the type? Maybe a reference to a Mouser or
Digi-Key item?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

EPCOS B32232 series is an example of a film cap in a metal axial can:

http://www.epcos.com/inf/20/20/db/fc_05/MKT_B32232.pdf

Digikey part number 495-3542-ND seems to match your component
superficially at least.

You will find a lot of film caps with pulse handling capability
specifically called out these days. Especially used in switching power
supplies and electronic ballasts at line voltage.

Tim.

Thanks so much for your assistance. Invaluable to one whose knowledge in this
area is so... basic.
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

In article ,
"Phil Allison" wrote:

Axial electrolytic ...

** I bet it is NOT !!!

It has no polarity markings - right ?

Both ends look the same - right ?

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of non-polarized
electrolytics...
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:08:52 -0800, Smitty Two wrote:

:In article ,
: "Phil Allison" wrote:
:
: Axial electrolytic ...
:
: ** I bet it is NOT !!!
:
: It has no polarity markings - right ?
:
: Both ends look the same - right ?
:
:The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of non-polarized
:electrolytics...

Not possible to be a non-polar electrolytic because these don't usually go above
50Vdc and they are never marked with a voltage code such as 2J. It is most
likely a film type with voltage a bit higher than Phil's guess. My own guess
would have been 400V but since then we have more info on voltage codes and 630V
looks to be the answer.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message

BTW, does anyone know what is meant by "POOT SIZE" and "POOT IEGTH".
:-)

My poot length is 10", at least that's what I tell the ladies.

Mismatched voltage wired in parallel. What is resulting voltage? Thomas G. Marshall Electronics 19 November 15th 07 01:01 PM
What IS U.K. Voltage ? Stuart UK diy 15 December 10th 06 11:45 PM
MR16 - low voltage or line voltage [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 11th 06 06:24 PM
Low voltage lights - voltage drop/cable size [email protected] UK diy 2 October 31st 05 09:54 AM
Euro(UK) voltage P991 Dell UltraScan Trinitron can this be jumpered to US voltage? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 21st 05 04:52 AM