Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tektronix 2230 Power Up Failure

If the scope has been off for a while and I power on I get an error
message screen:

Power up Failures
CMOS: Reformatted

If I cycle the power on and off again the message does not appear. I
have run all the diagnostics and they all pass. Everything on the
scope appears to work properly. I can't find any reference to the
message in the service manual. Because of the time it has to be off
(15-20 minutes) I am suspecting a low battery that is used to save
some memory data. I can't fine any reference to a battery for the
basic unit. I did see a battery on the GPIB interface parts list but
couldn't find it on the board or other documentation. Any one know
what this message means??
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

IIRC,2230 had a lithium coin cell holder on the top digital board,or a 123
lithium cell underneath the top digital board.(soldered to it)

Thanks for the quick response... Is the board you are referring to
the one that has the plastic hinges for tilting the board up. Do you
think the battery might be associated with the message I am getting as
I suggested?
Roger
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dodger741 wrote in
:

IIRC,2230 had a lithium coin cell holder on the top digital board,or
a 123 lithium cell underneath the top digital board.(soldered to it)

Thanks for the quick response... Is the board you are referring to
the one that has the plastic hinges for tilting the board up. Do you
think the battery might be associated with the message I am getting as
I suggested?
Roger

yes,it's the only board on the top of the instrument.
I don't know about the error messages.It's very possible.
Those batteries only have a 10 yr shelf life.
The 2230 has been out of support longer than that.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

IIRC,2230 had a lithium coin cell holder on the top digital board,or
a 123 lithium cell underneath the top digital board.(soldered to it)

Thanks for the quick response... Is the board you are referring to
the one that has the plastic hinges for tilting the board up. Do you
think the battery might be associated with the message I am getting as
I suggested?
Roger

yes,it's the only board on the top of the instrument.
I don't know about the error messages.It's very possible.
Those batteries only have a 10 yr shelf life.
The 2230 has been out of support longer than that.

--I disassembled the unit and looked on both sides of the board. Nothing to be found that looks like a battery. There are two daughter boards attached to the back but they look like some sort of high frequency analog boards because of the metal shield. Strange to think that their is a built in message that they don't mention in the manual! I may never know.
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Still searching for answers. I did find a post on yahoo which listed
a battery idea but also mentioned a low self-discharge current
capacitor. I suppose you could do something like that although I
wonder about the reliability of it. I did search the parts list for
"special" caps and found nothing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Finally I found the battery. It was buried underneath the metal
housing holding the GPIB board next to the CRT neck shield. It
supplies power to the extended memory (26k) which is part of the GPIB
interface. I noticed that the memories on the GPIB daughter board
retained a little voltage when turned off and that their was a diode
in the supply trace. Followed this to a 4 pin connector which led me
to the battery. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Thanks to all who commented and helped me solve this problem.
Roger
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dodger741 wrote:
Finally I found the battery. It was buried underneath the metal
housing holding the GPIB board next to the CRT neck shield. It
supplies power to the extended memory (26k) which is part of the GPIB
interface. I noticed that the memories on the GPIB daughter board
retained a little voltage when turned off and that their was a diode
in the supply trace. Followed this to a 4 pin connector which led me
to the battery. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

So now you're re-volt-ing, right?

--
God help us all,
The next President of the United States will be a liberal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dodger741 wrote:

Finally I found the battery. It was buried underneath the metal
housing holding the GPIB board next to the CRT neck shield. It
supplies power to the extended memory (26k) which is part of the GPIB
interface. I noticed that the memories on the GPIB daughter board
retained a little voltage when turned off and that their was a diode
in the supply trace. Followed this to a 4 pin connector which led me
to the battery. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Thanks to all who commented and helped me solve this problem.
Roger

Do you have the battery type, or any other informartion in case
somone else looks through the Google Groups archives later on?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 28, 8:41 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
dodger741 wrote:

Finally I found the battery. It was buried underneath the metal
housing holding the GPIB board next to the CRT neck shield. It
supplies power to the extended memory (26k) which is part of the GPIB
interface. I noticed that the memories on the GPIB daughter board
retained a little voltage when turned off and that their was a diode
in the supply trace. Followed this to a 4 pin connector which led me
to the battery. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Thanks to all who commented and helped me solve this problem.
Roger

Do you have the battery type, or any other informartion in case
somone else looks through the Google Groups archives later on?

It was a Panosonic Lithim Battery BR-2/3A 3V with solder tabs.
Approx .625" Dia x 1.25" Long
Roger

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

IS it possible to replace the battery without loosing the calibration
parameters?
Or do you have to recalibrate the scope after the battery replacement?

My review of the manual indicates that all calibration is done
manually. The battery is only used to store the trace data in
"extended memory" which is accessible by the GPIB interface.
Roger
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you Roger, so it's not like on some others scope like the 2465b where
you loose the calibration parameters when the battery is over...
So I'm less anxious and in a hurry...

pf