Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Will I fry my video camera with this adapter?

I have a pretty good grasp on computers(Operating systems, software,
databases etc...), but my electronics knowledge sucks. So I have a
question for the electronics guys...
I have a Panasonic Video Camera Model sdr-h18 HDD. I lost the cord
that plugs into it when I am not on battery. I really need it tomorow.
The panasonic website says that the input is DC 7.9V/7.2. I can't buy
one from panasonic in time.
Little explanation about the way this thing works. The battery can
mount to the charger or the (missing plug) can plug into the charger
and then into the camera. So here is a little bit more info on the
charger. The back of the charger says output 7.9V, then a line over a
dashed line, followed by 1.4A(Video Camera).

Also... Probably useless info, but the back of the charger also says
Output 8.4V, then a line over a dashed line, followed by .
65A(Charge).

But... I have a Powerline Universal Adapter with the different voltage
settings (i.e. 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, 9V, 12V) the adapter is 600mA.

I am hopeing that someone can tell me wether or not I am going to harm
my video camera if I set the powerline to 7.5V and plug it in to the
back of the Video Camera? If this will do harm I don't want to take a
chance. What if I found one that was closer to my needs at walmart or
radio shack? (They sell Powerline Universal adapters at 1000mA as
well.)
Your help is very much appreciated!!
Chris
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ChrisN" wrote in message
[...]

Your Powerline Universal Adapter will not have enough power at 600ma to
operate your camera. The 1.4A required for your camera is actually 1400ma
which is more than twice what the Universal Adapter can supply.

Is this what your missing cord looks like?
http://www.affordablesurplus.com/pan...power-cord.asp

If so, it is a very popular cord and perhaps you have a friend that has some
type of a/v device whether it is a, portable radio, bookshelf system, cable
box, or CD player, which uses the same cord that could be borrowed.

Good luck.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"ChrisN" wrote in message
[...]

Just glancing at your post, it appears that your charger is missing the
wire to connect it to the wall. Is this correct? Is it missing something
like this
http://www.amazon.com/Intec-804926052408-Universal-Power-Cable/dp/B0009GZG5O
? If so you can buy those at a lot of different places. I'm pretty sure
radio shack stocks a cable of that type and if not you could always borrow
one from an xbox, some dvd players, portable boom boxex, or maybe buy one
at wal-mart.

HTH

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jan 21, 8:26 am, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
"ChrisN" wrote in message

[...]

more likely to be a dc barrel plug affair. on all the panasics i've
seen anyway. goes from charger to camera not from wall to charger
-b
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 21, 12:06*am, "David Farber" wrote:

"ChrisN" wrote in message

I am hopeing that someone can tell me wether or not I am going to harm
my video camera if I set the powerline to 7.5V and plug it in to the
back of the Video Camera?

Your Powerline Universal Adapter will not have enough power at 600ma to
operate your camera. The 1.4A required for your camera is actually 1400ma
which is more than twice what the Universal Adapter can supply.

Don't see any mention of polarity. If that "universal" adapter has the
+ and - swapped from the original adapter, that might not be very good
for the camera. A good power input design will protect against reverse
polarity, but some manufacturers might try to save a few cents and
omit the reverse polarity protection.

Jerry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
"ChrisN" wrote in message

[...]

hmm.. 2 barrel connectors one on each end you say? Only idea I have for
that is making a cable, but that is probably out of the skill range for the
OP.

Mike