Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electric dryer - thermal fuse question

Hi

Our Sears electric dryer went completely dead about 2 seconds after
pressing the "push to start" button. Completely dead - as in no power
even to the 10 watt light inside the drum.

I've located a 196 degree thermal fuse in-line to the motor that could
be responsible for complete power loss to everything 120v if it's gone
bad. With both leads disconnected I'm getting a reading on that thermal
fuse that flips between .5 and .6 ohms. (Lowest scale on the meter I
have on hand is 200 ohms.)

To my knowledge I should be reading zero ohms if the fuse is good. Is a
paltry .5 ohm reading enough to indicate that a thermal fuse is bad?

Thanks

Rick