Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Soldering eyeglass Frames

I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold
solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which
cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops
ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online
to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My
uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem
is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot
more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold
solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which
cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops
ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online
to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My
uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem
is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot
more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?

Yes, buy a new pair of glasses.

Will it hold? We can't tell you that not knowing what the material is that
you are soldering. It may be brass, titanium, zinc, or something else. If
they are junk now, you have nothing to lose so give it a try. Worse case
scenario is you get a new pair.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold
solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which
cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops
ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online
to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My
uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem
is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot
more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?

You could try a little JB Weld. It might look awful, but it might also work.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Lead and Tin will not work. I learned how to repair eyeglass frames from my
Dad working in his office. He was an "old school" Optometrist. Back in the
day when Jewelry stores had Optometrists. His office was one of the few
places that repaired broken frames. It requires gold solder and an acetylene
jewelers torch. Quick and easy if you have the tools. It will discolor the
finish some. If you attempt any other method, it will not work for long and
they will be rendered un-repairable. See if you can find a good Jewelers.

john

wrote in message
I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold
solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which
cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops
ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online
to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My
uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem
is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot
more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for
Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Any tips?

Cannibalize dollar store readers for a replacement temple piece.

You can braze with propane or MAPP and air.

A soldered butt joint won't typically hold, but it may work if you
splint with a bit of steel or stainless wire there (any old guitar strings
around?). You can gammon with fine Nichrome wire sold for ignitors on
eBay.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Any tips?

Cannibalize dollar store readers for a replacement temple piece.

You can braze with propane or MAPP and air.

A soldered butt joint won't typically hold, but it may work if you
splint with a bit of steel or stainless wire there (any old guitar
strings around?). You can gammon with fine Nichrome wire sold for
ignitors on eBay.

This fellow uses silver solder to repair glasses. Not to be a shill for him, but we used him for DH's
glasses, and he did a fine job.
http://www.adamsfashionoptical.com/Services/repair.htm

J.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

How about taking it to a jeweler who can use a harder, stronger kind of
solder and is familiar with metals other than the ones we ordinarily work
with?

wrote in message
I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold
solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which
cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops
ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online
to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My
uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem
is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot
more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for
Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold
solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which
cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops
ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online
to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My
uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem
is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot
more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Solder would never hold, those frames are typically brazed. You can
certainly re-braze them, though you would potentially also need to
re-paint / re-finish them afterwards.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Try www.framesdirect.com. (I got my Flexons from them, then had Costco grind
and install the lenses.) If the frame is still manufactured, they'll
probably be able to find it for you, or a frame that has the same lens
shape.

Another possibility is to contact the frame's manufacturer. They might be
able to supply an exact-replacement temple (or a compatible one).

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Many thanks for excellent replies. My plan is to try to get stainless
solder and then try a jeweler. THere is a place on Queens Blvd which
says "watch repair & shoe repair"

If I get sep read/walk glasses, Zenni is as low as $9. I got the
eyeglasses which broke in 2003 for $30 and that "factory outlet" now
costs $40. They must be cast iron because they hurt and I tried to
bend them in church when they broke. I used to be good at bending. I
really don't care if the temple looks different.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

When the thin tubual metal temples broke on my [Zenni Optical] glasses,
squeezed the ends into a short length of insulation from 12 gauge wire.
Worked well for many months and didn't look too bad. Eventually Zenni sent
a replacement.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Eyeglass repair webs say they use gold solder.

I could almost make the temple from wire (run the screw through a
loop). If only I knew where to find "antique bronze" wire that stiff
and thick.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:04:16 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Eyeglass repair webs say they use gold solder.

I could almost make the temple from wire (run the screw through a
loop). If only I knew where to find "antique bronze" wire that stiff
and thick.

Fence wire, and modeling paint.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

*+-My tip: Take them off before attempting to solder them.

Have been known to be quite ambidexterous, but not THAT much!

More seriously, I would need something to hold them in place.

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Uncrewed the leftover part of the frame and it is the size of a nut.
I thought there might be some stem left, but no. This seems
undoable. I once repaired plastic frames by screwing an eye-screw into
the frame with a similar fracture. I wonder if I can't solder an eye
screw (looks like the letter P) in there. In the toirtoise shell
plastic glasses, the eye screw repair looked darn near invisible.

Heck, it would almost be easier to twist the frame 90 degrees and put
a hole in perpendicular to the flat side and run the screw through
that.

- = -