Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha P120 piano, 2004

Looks like another victim of lead-free solder in the power handling areas.

Reason for posting - idle curiosity. I'm not going to unnecessarily delve
into the keyboard section to find out.
I was surprised to see just an 8 way ribbon cable going to an 88 key, 7+
octave keyboard.
I assume there is active multiplexing hidden in there , but would there be
"touchy-feely" action monitoring as well.?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook schrieb:
Looks like another victim of lead-free solder in the power handling areas.

Reason for posting - idle curiosity. I'm not going to unnecessarily delve
into the keyboard section to find out.
I was surprised to see just an 8 way ribbon cable going to an 88 key, 7+
octave keyboard.
I assume there is active multiplexing hidden in there , but would there be
"touchy-feely" action monitoring as well.?

Why not? I assume you'll find a keyboard processor and 2 contact bars to
measure the time/velocity of each key, possibly divides into 8- or
12-key groups.

Udo
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Udo Piechottka wrote in message
N Cook schrieb:
Looks like another victim of lead-free solder in the power handling

areas.

Reason for posting - idle curiosity. I'm not going to unnecessarily

delve
into the keyboard section to find out.
I was surprised to see just an 8 way ribbon cable going to an 88 key, 7+
octave keyboard.
I assume there is active multiplexing hidden in there , but would there

be
"touchy-feely" action monitoring as well.?

Why not? I assume you'll find a keyboard processor and 2 contact bars to
measure the time/velocity of each key, possibly divides into 8- or
12-key groups.

Udo

All I can see is the counterbalance rods and leaf springs per key, including
shining a torch down the length of the rear of the key bank. I suppose the
bank of counterweights (hence weight of that whole section) compared to
return springs means that touch force can be more evenly inferred from
timing intervals per key press.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:09:05 +0000, N Cook wrote:

Looks like another victim of lead-free solder in the power handling

areas.

Reason for posting - idle curiosity. I'm not going to unnecessarily

delve
into the keyboard section to find out.
I was surprised to see just an 8 way ribbon cable going to an 88 key, 7+
octave keyboard.
I assume there is active multiplexing hidden in there , but would there

be
"touchy-feely" action monitoring as well.?

Yes.

Now I have it working , yes , its rate sensitive. Forte is loud.
Play a note too pianisimo and it fails to register at all, taking say 3
seconds or so from first finger touch to bottoming. I assume that is normal.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

My Best Idea of 2004 James R. Shields Woodturning 3 December 21st 04 03:23 AM
OT Republican in 2004........ Tim Daneliuk Woodworking 42 November 8th 04 05:54 PM
2004 P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4 Woodworking 3 August 16th 04 03:38 PM
2004 Rayen UK diy 0 May 18th 04 10:02 AM
IWF 2004 Rob Walters Woodworking 4 April 16th 04 12:09 AM