Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Yamaha P120 piano, 2004

Udo Piechottka wrote in message
N Cook schrieb:
Looks like another victim of lead-free solder in the power handling

areas.

Reason for posting - idle curiosity. I'm not going to unnecessarily

delve
into the keyboard section to find out.
I was surprised to see just an 8 way ribbon cable going to an 88 key, 7+
octave keyboard.
I assume there is active multiplexing hidden in there , but would there

be
"touchy-feely" action monitoring as well.?

Why not? I assume you'll find a keyboard processor and 2 contact bars to
measure the time/velocity of each key, possibly divides into 8- or
12-key groups.

Udo

All I can see is the counterbalance rods and leaf springs per key, including
shining a torch down the length of the rear of the key bank. I suppose the
bank of counterweights (hence weight of that whole section) compared to
return springs means that touch force can be more evenly inferred from
timing intervals per key press.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England