Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Audio dropouts with Zenith XBV443

I'm experiencing audio dropouts with the DVD player portion of a
Zenith XBV443 DVD/VCR combo player. They happen for a few seconds
every few minutes or so, and generally at the same places on the same
DVD (this happens with most DVDs played, so it's not a bad disc).
Sometimes it will also ignore the music on the DVD's main menu or in
special features (but sometimes after you turn it off/on it will
recognize it again). The VCR portion of the unit works fine I think,
and there is no effect on the picture during these audio drops.

Things I've tried: Changing the disc's audio between original/English/
etc. (it also skips out in other languages at the same spots),
changing the audio between Dolby/DTS/PCM/etc., and changing the
parental controls between various levels (it seems like it cuts out
during bad language sometimes but it also misses some so it may be
coincidence).

Thanks for your input,
Brian