Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Plasma TV Repair - intermittent audio

HI Folks:

I have a 42" ESA Plasma TV, PDP4294LV1. The picture is fine, but the
audio cuts out. When you turn it on the audio is fine, but after 90
seconds or so the audio dies and then after 15 minutes t comes back on
again. If we watch it for long periods (Sunday afternoon football, it
may last 3 hrs.) but then the audio cuts out again. I called a repaid
service who says it will probably cost $750.00 to repair. New sets can
be purchased for $1,100.00 now, but I am broke and would love to try
to fix it myself.

Has anyone ever tried to buy an audio board (I assume that would be
the problem but have not actually taken it apart to find out) part and
fix a plasma this way???

Thanks,

Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:09:27 -0800 (PST), wittesr
wrote:

HI Folks:

I have a 42" ESA Plasma TV, PDP4294LV1. The picture is fine, but the
audio cuts out. When you turn it on the audio is fine, but after 90
seconds or so the audio dies and then after 15 minutes t comes back on
again. If we watch it for long periods (Sunday afternoon football, it
may last 3 hrs.) but then the audio cuts out again. I called a repaid
service who says it will probably cost $750.00 to repair. New sets can
be purchased for $1,100.00 now, but I am broke and would love to try
to fix it myself.

Has anyone ever tried to buy an audio board (I assume that would be
the problem but have not actually taken it apart to find out) part and
fix a plasma this way???

Thanks,

Steve

Start by narrowing down the problem. Is the sound from all inputs
affected, or just the tuner, video input,... If the set has audio
output jacks, connect them to a stereo and see if that works. If
there's a headphone jack, try that too.

You can always buy a cheap A/V receiver to use instead of the TVs
audio system. Plasma TVs generally have pretty bad speakers due to
their size.
Andy Cuffe

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up buying two wireless speakers for
$100.00 and connecting the wireless transmitter to the audio output
connections on the back of the DirecTV receiver. It works. Sound is
not the best, but it is good enough. I was afraid to spend too much on
a "fix" because the reviews of this Plasma TV manufacturer have not
been very good and who knows how long it will last before another
significant problem occurs. It's an ESA Plasma, formally sold by
Circuit City and made in China and not all that reliable. New 42" set
by Panasonic or Sony go for $1,400 to $1,600 and they may also be
getting cheaper next year.

But without your advice, I might have spent more money than I should
have. Thank you very much.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Steve