Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Montgomery Ward model GEN 12394 14" color TV with intermittent tuner

Hi,

I have a Montgomery Ward model GEN 12394 14" color TV made during
August 1983. Recently, it intermittently fails to stay tuned to the
selected cable channel. During this intermittence, it appears to
switch to either channel 2 or 3 regardless of the selected channel,
but all that is visible is a scrambled signal and the audio is fine.
When either channel 2 or 3 is selected, it stays on the selected
channel and all is well. Most recently, the failure mode is hard.

I realize that this TV not worth much of anything, but it fits nicely
in a small cubby-hole in my kitchen and I'd like to try fixing it if
doing so is economical. I do have experience repairing other TVs for
different failure modes, but I'm not sure that there is a simple fix
for this failure mode.

Does anyone have any recommendation? Even if the recommendation is to
pitch it because it's not worth it, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know your particular set. I can give you a theoretical opinion.

I would be looking for any possible cold solder connections inside the
tuner, and in the AFT circuit area. Also, check the decoupler caps along the
power rails, and also check that the power supply to the tuner and IF
sections is stable.

--

JANA
_____