Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fiber insulated staples dangerous to use on home lighting cords?

Hi,

I've used 1/8 " "Fiber Insulated Staples," to secure a single string of
120v 30 LED-lights. Location is in our kitchen, on top of the cupboards.
The staples are not tight against the wires, just hammered in enough to
hold the cords in place. The lights are of course very low heat.

But, the package of staples states, "Use only with bell, telephone,
thermostat, speaker, and other low voltage wiring." Also, "Not for use on
110 volt or higher wiring." Our electric service is 110/120 volt.

Question: is it dangerous to operate the lights with these staples holding
them in place, aside from what local codes may state?
Lights were unplugged while I installed the staples. :-) I can't see the
danger.

I do plan to check our codes, BTW.

Thanks, Dugie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dugie" wrote in message
Hi,

I've used 1/8 " "Fiber Insulated Staples," to secure a single string of
120v 30 LED-lights. Location is in our kitchen, on top of the cupboards.
The staples are not tight against the wires, just hammered in enough to
hold the cords in place. The lights are of course very low heat.

But, the package of staples states, "Use only with bell, telephone,
thermostat, speaker, and other low voltage wiring." Also, "Not for use on
110 volt or higher wiring." Our electric service is 110/120 volt.

Question: is it dangerous to operate the lights with these staples holding
them in place, aside from what local codes may state?
Lights were unplugged while I installed the staples. :-) I can't see the
danger.

I do plan to check our codes, BTW.

Thanks, Dugie

No, you'll be fine. The codes refer to permanent installations, in other
words, don't use them to staple Romex or other wiring that's part of the
house. So long as the wiring in the light string is not damaged in
installing it there will be no problems and shouldn't be any code issues
either since it's technically a "temporary" light string and is not
hardwired into the house.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Dugie" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I can't find the codes for my Nova Scotia, Canada area, guess I'd
have to buy a book. I'll call an electrician to double check.
Wanted to ensure there is no mysterious danger.

Dugie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dugie" wrote in message
Hi,

I've used 1/8 " "Fiber Insulated Staples," to secure a single string of
120v 30 LED-lights. Location is in our kitchen, on top of the cupboards.
The staples are not tight against the wires, just hammered in enough to
hold the cords in place. The lights are of course very low heat.

But, the package of staples states, "Use only with bell, telephone,
thermostat, speaker, and other low voltage wiring." Also, "Not for use on
110 volt or higher wiring." Our electric service is 110/120 volt.

Question: is it dangerous to operate the lights with these staples holding
them in place, aside from what local codes may state?
Lights were unplugged while I installed the staples. :-) I can't see the
danger.

I do plan to check our codes, BTW.

Thanks, Dugie

theres always adhesives and sticky Velcro

do you anticipate a surprise visit from the inspector for any other reason??