Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dugie[_2_] Dugie[_2_] is offline

Default Fiber insulated staples dangerous to use on home lighting cords?

Hi,

I've used 1/8 " "Fiber Insulated Staples," to secure a single string of
120v 30 LED-lights. Location is in our kitchen, on top of the cupboards.
The staples are not tight against the wires, just hammered in enough to
hold the cords in place. The lights are of course very low heat.

But, the package of staples states, "Use only with bell, telephone,
thermostat, speaker, and other low voltage wiring." Also, "Not for use on
110 volt or higher wiring." Our electric service is 110/120 volt.

Question: is it dangerous to operate the lights with these staples holding
them in place, aside from what local codes may state?
Lights were unplugged while I installed the staples. :-) I can't see the
danger.

I do plan to check our codes, BTW.

Thanks, Dugie