Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tek 465B

"bg" wrote in :

Both channels on the verticle front end are damaged. One dual FET
follower is a definite (Q1297). It is tek part number 151-1090-00. I
haven't seen one yet using google. Is there a replacement or two
discretes out there that will work?

They would have to be matched,else you get an offset.

check this out;
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/tekparts2.html
it appears they have some 151-1090's for sale.
they also cross ref to a "2N5911 family".

I noticed that the pinouts for the chip following the dual FET
(U1290), are
incorrect. Doing a diode test on the chip, there are several pins
mislabeled. The external circuitry seems to go to the pins as shown on
the schematic, but the internal circuitry ohms out to different pins.
This would only be an issue if you ohm out the chip like I did to see
if the chip was bad. If anyone is interested, I can post what seems to
be the correct internal circuitry.
bg

the 155-0078-xx is used in a lot of different scopes,several 7000 series
plug-ins,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Both channels on the verticle front end are damaged. One dual FET
follower is a definite (Q1297). It is tek part number 151-1090-00. I
haven't seen one yet using google. Is there a replacement or two
discretes out there that will work?

They would have to be matched,else you get an offset.

check this out;
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/tekparts2.html
it appears they have some 151-1090's for sale.
they also cross ref to a "2N5911 family".

the 155-0078-xx is used in a lot of different scopes,several 7000 series
plug-ins,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Thanks Jim. I had already been to that site and didn't see it the first
time, even with my glasses on!
Offset is the issue I am having.
bg

I've seen the input BNC connector cause DC offsets!
seems it absorbs contaminants and becomes a weak "battery".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've seen the input BNC connector cause DC offsets!
seems it absorbs contaminants and becomes a weak "battery".

Now that's certainly not something I'd have expected. I'll keep it in mind
should my 465 ever misbehave in that way.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

[...]

I replaced the channel 1 connector, but plugged in one of the power
connectors backwards. So I blew one of the dual fets and the other one
seems to have a leakage problem. There is DC on the gate lead right
after the attenuator. The 1 meg resistor in the attenuator output
isn't low enough to pull the gate to 0 volts. Out of the circuit I
can't measure anything abnormal with the FET but in circuit the DC is
there. BTW , you are a great weath of info for these tek products.
bg

are there input protection diodes on that FET input? did you disconnect the
atten PCB and still have the DC?
(and then GND the gate and the offset goes away?)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in

I've seen the input BNC connector cause DC offsets!
seems it absorbs contaminants and becomes a weak "battery".

Now that's certainly not something I'd have expected. I'll keep it in
mind should my 465 ever misbehave in that way.

definitely a weird one. only had a couple of those,as I recall.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bg bg is offline

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

[...]

I replaced the ch1 connector, but connected a power connector backwards. It
blew one of the dual FETS and the other seems to have a leakage problem.
There is DC on the gate where the attenuator output connects. The one meg
resistor in the attenuator output is not low enough to pull the gate to
zero. Out of the circuit, I don't see anything wrong with the fet.
BTW , you are a great resource for these tek products, thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

[...]

I've disconnected the gate completely from all of the external
circuitry and then connected it to ground thru a 1.5 meg resistor ,

No,the atten grounds it almost directly.Maybe thru a ~47 ohm R.
I forget the exact circuit values.
Check your schematic.
1 megR is the basic input Z,it's no "ground".
You HAVE to see signals across that input Z.

which I assume is what it sees from the attenuator. Seeing as the gate
draws no current , there should be no voltage right, or perhaps just
microvolts. I get way too much. If I short the gate to ground or use
low resistance like about 50 ohms, I can drive it with a generator and
all is fine. But with High Z to ground, the offset is too high for the
verticle position control to bring the trace back on screen and none
of the balance or position pots have enough range. bg

Have you done your DC bal adjustments?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bg bg is offline

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

[...]

then connected it to ground thru a 1.5 meg resistor , which I assume is what
it sees from the attenuator. Seeing as the gate draws no current , there
should be no voltage right, or perhaps just microvolts. I get way too much.
If I short the gate to ground or use low resistance like about 50 ohms, I
can drive it with a generator and all is fine. But with High Z to ground,
the offset is too high for the verticle position control to bring the trace
back on screen and none of the balance or position pots have enough range.
bg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bg bg is offline

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

[...]

The output of the attenuator has a 1Meg resisitor shunted across it. The
gate connects to this resistor with a 470K. I think the short only exists
when the front pannel AC/OFF/DC switch is in the off position.
It's supposed to short the output of the attenuator. If I put that switch in
the off, center position, the trace does come back to center screen. Balance
adjustment works, gain adjustment works. The attenuator measures 1 meg in on
all ranges. I've ruled out DC in the attenuator by disconnecting the FET
from it.
I think I just need to get a new fet because everything points to the gate
having leakage of some sort.
bg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in
:

[...]

DC-GND-AC.
You just said that shorting the FET gate thru the 470K R removes your
offset;that tells me the offset is coming from the atten/BNC.

It's supposed to short the output of the attenuator. If I put that
switch in the off, center position, the trace does come back to center
screen. Balance adjustment works, gain adjustment works. The
attenuator measures 1 meg in on all ranges.

Not relevant. You're dealing with mV offsets.

I've ruled out DC in the
attenuator by disconnecting the FET from it.

And grounding the gate,you still get an offset?

I think I just need to get a new fet because everything points to the
gate having leakage of some sort.
bg

The FET gate has an extremely high input Z(100's of Megs),the 1 MegR -sets-
the scope Z to the desired input Z.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bg bg is offline

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote in message ...
"bg" wrote in
:

[...]

With the gate totally disconnected from the rest of the scope, I connected
it to ground thru a 470k resistor. There is about 1.5 volts DC on the gate.
The spec sheet says this gate should deliver about a 100 pico amp reverse
biased with 15 volts. That comes out to 47 microvolts of offset on the gate
lead. So this FET has some pretty severe leakage at the gate.
Sorry for the confusion.
bg