Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Xray Head Construction

I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It depends on the manufacturer and model.
Definitely an X-Ray tube in there, maybe the high voltage power supply,
and maybe some sensors.
You must provide the correct voltage for the correct length of time.
It sounds a bit dangerous to me without a schematic or wiring diagram,
and the correct knowledge of X-Ray techniques.
Keep in mind that even with a properly functioning machine the dentist
leaves the room to avoid multiple exposures.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Too_Many_Tools writes:

I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

As someone else noted, you need to determine what exactly is in there.

If it is really just the head - generally the part that is positioned
next to the patient - then it's the X-ray tube and possibly
a coil for the motor that rotates the anode (via inductive coupling
through the glass).

At a minimum, you need power to the tube filament (2 wires) and +HV.
If there is a motor, then 2 more wires for that, though it could share
one of the filament wires if that's at ground potential. Or, I suppose,
the anode if that is at ground potential.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 20, 5:23 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Thanks for quick response...it is appreciated.

The only information on the head is ...

"XRM"
"an S.S.White subsidiary"

and just inside the head is the writing....

"1178G-1228"

The four wires (all different colors) are not HV wires (normal
insulation thickness) and they attach to what looks like either diodes
or pass through studs.

From the looks within the head, I suspect that it is filled with

oil...likely for heat transfer and perhaps dielectric insulation for
the HV within the head. I see a number of copper fittings which again
would indicate effort is being made to quickly transfer heat out from
the head.

I did not want to go further with disassembly until I did some
research on what is behind the next cover.

I *suspect* that there is a voltage multiplier contained within that
supplies the needed HV for the tube.

So...does four wires entering the head by the "diode/stud" connections
indicate a possible HV multiplier?

TMT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 20, 6:44 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:23 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Thanks for quick response...it is appreciated.

The only information on the head is ...

"XRM"
"an S.S.White subsidiary"

and just inside the head is the writing....

"1178G-1228"

The four wires (all different colors) are not HV wires (normal
insulation thickness) and they attach to what looks like either diodes
or pass through studs.

From the looks within the head, I suspect that it is filled with

oil...likely for heat transfer and perhaps dielectric insulation for
the HV within the head. I see a number of copper fittings which again
would indicate effort is being made to quickly transfer heat out from
the head.

I did not want to go further with disassembly until I did some
research on what is behind the next cover.

I *suspect* that there is a voltage multiplier contained within that
supplies the needed HV for the tube.

So...does four wires entering the head by the "diode/stud" connections
indicate a possible HV multiplier?

TMT

The head that I am working with looks like this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Xray-intr...QQcmdZViewItem

TMT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Too_Many_Tools writes:

On Oct 20, 6:44 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:23 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Thanks for quick response...it is appreciated.

The only information on the head is ...

"XRM"
"an S.S.White subsidiary"

and just inside the head is the writing....

"1178G-1228"

The four wires (all different colors) are not HV wires (normal
insulation thickness) and they attach to what looks like either diodes
or pass through studs.

From the looks within the head, I suspect that it is filled with

oil...likely for heat transfer and perhaps dielectric insulation for
the HV within the head. I see a number of copper fittings which again
would indicate effort is being made to quickly transfer heat out from
the head.

I did not want to go further with disassembly until I did some
research on what is behind the next cover.

I *suspect* that there is a voltage multiplier contained within that
supplies the needed HV for the tube.

So...does four wires entering the head by the "diode/stud" connections
indicate a possible HV multiplier?

TMT

The head that I am working with looks like this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Xray-intr...QQcmdZViewItem

Certainly looks like there is more in there than the tube. At the very
least, the multiplier, but possibly the entire HV inverter.

You might try contacting an X-ray equipment supplier, though I bet
they will claim liability issues in providing any info.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Oct 20, 6:44 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Oct 20, 5:23 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Thanks for quick response...it is appreciated.

The only information on the head is ...

"XRM"
"an S.S.White subsidiary"

and just inside the head is the writing....

"1178G-1228"

The four wires (all different colors) are not HV wires (normal
insulation thickness) and they attach to what looks like either diodes
or pass through studs.

From the looks within the head, I suspect that it is filled with

oil...likely for heat transfer and perhaps dielectric insulation for
the HV within the head. I see a number of copper fittings which again
would indicate effort is being made to quickly transfer heat out from
the head.

I did not want to go further with disassembly until I did some
research on what is behind the next cover.

I *suspect* that there is a voltage multiplier contained within that
supplies the needed HV for the tube.

So...does four wires entering the head by the "diode/stud" connections
indicate a possible HV multiplier?

TMT

The head that I am working with looks like this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Xray-intr...QQcmdZViewItem

TMT

You will probably find that the tube is surrounded by cooling oil. I
think the target (anode)
end of the tube is grounded to help with the cooling (not sure about
this). The high voltage requirement depends on the energy wanted from
the X rays. But the voltage my be 100 KV
or more. Soft X rays can be had with a voltage of 10 KV

This is not something to play with without knowing what you are doing.

Bill K7NOM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 21, 11:11 am, Bill Janssen wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Oct 20, 6:44 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Oct 20, 5:23 pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have a surplus xray dental head that I would like to reuse.

It has four wires entering it.

What is in a head like this and how can one use it for xraying items?

Any links to sites that describe how this device is constructed would
be appreciated.

Thanks

TMT

Thanks for quick response...it is appreciated.

The only information on the head is ...

"XRM"
"an S.S.White subsidiary"

and just inside the head is the writing....

"1178G-1228"

The four wires (all different colors) are not HV wires (normal
insulation thickness) and they attach to what looks like either diodes
or pass through studs.

From the looks within the head, I suspect that it is filled with

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Xray-intr...sman-I-Tube-he...

TMT

You will probably find that the tube is surrounded by cooling oil. I
think the target (anode)
end of the tube is grounded to help with the cooling (not sure about
this). The high voltage requirement depends on the energy wanted from
the X rays. But the voltage my be 100 KV
or more. Soft X rays can be had with a voltage of 10 KV

This is not something to play with without knowing what you are doing.

Bill K7NOM- Hide quoted text -

I agree....that is why I am doing my homework before going further.

Thanks everyone who has replied...I appreciate it.

TMT