Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:09:15 GMT, Jeff Dittmar wrote:

Here is a photo of the latch from a clueless reviewer
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...ompartment.jpg
Here is a photo of the common Nikon engineering flaw the reviewer missed
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0065b.JPG
See how a paperclip & superglue were used to fix Nikon's engineering flaw
http://www.uthunter.com/images/Nikonfix.jpg
See how a tripod screw & plate were used to fix Nikon's engineering flaw
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0070b.JPG
Here is a photo of how Nikon fixed the flaw themselves
http://www.scaredpoet.com/images/E7600_batterydoor.jpg
Does anyone know how to invoke the Nikon secret warranty?

Here are a dozen photos showing how I used the advice in this thread to fix
my son's Nikon Coolpix 3100 digital camera body which broke at exactly the
same spot in all the photographs listed above.

http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/

You'll notice nobody said which drill bit to use, nor which dremel bit to
use, nor which glue to use - and I think I screwed up in all three but the
results still seem to work. It's a bit messy because I use the wrong dremel
tool and probably the wrong glue (it melted the camera body a bit).

It's too late for me but does anyone know what the Nikon Coolpix camera
bodies are made up of and therefore what glue to use which won't pit the
camera body everywhere it touches it wet?
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"Jeanette Guire" wrote in message
news
Here is a photo of the latch from a clueless reviewer
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...ompartment.jpg
Here is a photo of the common Nikon engineering flaw the reviewer missed
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0065b.JPG
See how a paperclip & superglue were used to fix Nikon's engineering

flaw
http://www.uthunter.com/images/Nikonfix.jpg
See how a tripod screw & plate were used to fix Nikon's engineering flaw
http://files.myopera.com/mcduret/blog/IMGP0070b.JPG
Here is a photo of how Nikon fixed the flaw themselves
http://www.scaredpoet.com/images/E7600_batterydoor.jpg
Does anyone know how to invoke the Nikon secret warranty?

That's REALLY BAD design. The "tongue in slot" lock is common among digital
cameras, but the slot is usually a molded space within the camera body --
not a fragile plastic loop projecting from it.

I agree -- a reviewer should have caught this and at least warned potential
buyers.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:23:40 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

That's REALLY BAD design.

I agree -- a reviewer should have caught this and at least warned potential
buyers.

Thank you for this kind note. When I googled for this problem, I found that
it's a common problem. But I had read the major reviews, e.g., dpreview,
and I never saw any mention that this was going to be a disaster.

The folks at dpreview pumped up the camera so much that I now look at
dpreview with total distrust.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/03...100preview.asp

How can ANYONE trust a reviewer who totally misses the fact the camera will
be made senseless within a year of use in almost every case?