Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung hcm4215w projection tv

I have a rear projection tv I'm trying to get running. Originally it
wouldn't stay on. If I unplugged the convergence board it would stay
on. I bought two new stk392-040's and installed them. The right hand
side ic would get really hot really fast. So I took that one out and
installed one of the older ones and the tv works now sort of. The
picture is really bowtied shaped.
Should I order another stk392-040 and try that, or order a replacement
convergence board?
Thanks for any help.
jim

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 29, 11:27 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:41:33 -0700, jimmyjet wrote:
I have a rear projection tv I'm trying to get running. Originally it
wouldn't stay on. If I unplugged the convergence board it would stay
on. I bought two new stk392-040's and installed them. The right hand
side ic would get really hot really fast. So I took that one out and
installed one of the older ones and the tv works now sort of. The
picture is really bowtied shaped.
Should I order another stk392-040 and try that, or order a replacement
convergence board?
Thanks for any help.
jim

In any event be careful with samsung sets as some can burn the crt very
fast when you have problems with the convergence. Also make sure you use
the exact replacement STK and clean the heatsink surface and use proper
thermal goop. Myself I would go over the converge board with a fine tooth
comb and look for low value 1/10 watt resistors that may be damaged and
replace before trying another STK.

Thank you for the reply. I bought the stk ic's from mcminone. It had
the same numbers except for the date code. Someone else mentioned I
should use panasonic stk's, but I haven't found any yet. The heatsink
had an insulator on it and no thermal goop. Do you think I should use
goop with the insulator?
I will check the resistors.
I appreciate the advice.
jim