Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tascam MS-16 diode

Tascam MS-16 diode

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
My Tascam MS-16 seems to have the zener diode problem perfectly
described in this post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0newsbf02.news

..aol...

I'd like to replace the diode to see if that fixes the problem,

but I
don't have a service manual yet. Does anyone have a manual for

sale,
or know someplace that will sell one? Otherwise, if there are

other
MS-16 owners who already know the proper diode value (for R15,

with a
marking of 1961R) I'd love a little advice if you can spare it!

I've
searched the web for that marking and come up empty. That may

very
well be due to my lack of skill and familiarity with electronics.

Thanks for any help or leads you can provide!

-Chris

Reply Reply to author Forward Rate this post:

Text for clearing space

before posting.

before posting.

JP Gerard View profile
More options Jan 14 2007, 10:50 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2007 17:51:03 +0100
Subject: Tascam MS-16 diode prob. (?)

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
D15: EQA01-09R 9V Zener Tascam P/N 5143174000

Unless K2 is activated, you're safe. Half of K2 closes the erase

head
circuit (one side of the relay to erase head neg. terminal, one

side to
ground) so unless it's closed, you can't have any current flowing

through
the erase head.
After I replaced all the relays with Omrons, no more funky

erasure...

But if the circuit driving the relay starts acting funky, it can

indeed be a
problem.

After about 10 years, you should consider replacing all the parts

that are
prone to aging issues.
I recapped the whole tyhing which took a lot of time and sweat,

but it was
worth it.

I'm now going to remove all the cards again and float those

Zeners above the
PCB surface, thanks for the tip!

JP

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le message

de news:

My Tascam MS-16 seems to have the zener diode problem perfectly
described in this post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0newsbf02.news

..aol...
tput=gplain

[...]

More options Jan 14 2007, 10:52 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2007 17:54:41 +0100

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Ah, the schemo says 19V Zener...

Must be a 9V though, the rail is 15V!

JP

"JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet a écrit dans le message de news:

[...]

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le

message de news:
[...]

More options Jan 14 2007, 11:18 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2007 18:20:30 +0100

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
And the D15 diodes in my MS16 are marked:

19 - 61R

The 6V Zeners are marked:

06 - 61R

So... Is D15 a 19V zener after all?

Help?

[...]

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le

message de
[...]

Chris Lynch View profile
More options Jan 14 2007, 9:17 pm

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: (Chris Lynch)
Date: 14 Jan 2007 19:17:57 -0800

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Hi JP,

That's great info, thanks! I'm really not sure how to test if

it's
the relays, so I figured it's cheaper to swap the diode first,

and if
it still erases I'll hit the relays next.

As for the voltage:

D15: EQA01-09R 9V Zener Tascam P/N 5143174000

....does that come from the service manual? If so, do we need to

worry
about the voltage as long as we get the right part#? I just

checked
jameco.com and mouser.com and I'm having no luck, and I can't

even
find components on tascam.com, so I clearly don't know what I'm

doing.

-Chris

"JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet wrote in message

.. .
[...]

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le

message de
[...]

More options Jan 15 2007, 10:19 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2007 17:21:45 +0100

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

That's great info, thanks! I'm really not sure how to test if

it's
the relays, so I figured it's cheaper to swap the diode first,

and if
it still erases I'll hit the relays next.

Absolutely, actually I'm looking forward to having all the D15

replaced.
Having a hard time finding high dissipation 19V Zener diodes

though... up to
18, no prob, then it's 20, 22, 24V etc. It's a reference voltage

so it has
to be a 19V zener for proper operation.

As for the voltage:
D15: EQA01-09R 9V Zener Tascam P/N 5143174000

...does that come from the service manual? If so, do we need

to worry
about the voltage as long as we get the right part#? I just

checked
jameco.com and mouser.com and I'm having no luck, and I can't

even
find components on tascam.com, so I clearly don't know what I'm

doing.
-Chris

Sure, you should order a copy from Tascam. I got my MS16 in shape

but
without the manual it would've taken so much guess work...
Ordering the part from tascam is a solution, but I usually overdo

things and
I'm thinking about a 5W Zener here... why not?
Call your local Tascam rep., if I was able to ask my local rep.

(I'm in
Belgium) about parts for my 38 and my MS16, you should be able to

as well.

JP

[...]

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le

message de
[...]

Justin Ulysses Morse View profile
JP Gerard jpgerard@skynet wrote: Absolutely, actually I'm

looking forward to having all the D15 replaced. Having a hard

time finding high dissipation 19V Zener diodes though... up to

18, no prob, then it's 20, 22, 24V etc. It's a reference voltage

so it has to be a 19V zener for proper operation. As for

the voltage: D15: EQA01-09R 9V Zener Tascam P/N

5143174000 ...does that come from the service manual? If so,

do we need to worry about the voltage as long as we get the

right part#? Sure, you should order a copy from Tascam. I got

my MS16 in shape but without the manual it would've taken so

much guess work... Ordering the part from tascam is a solution,

but I usually overdo things and I'm thinking about a 5W Zener

here... why not? Call your local Tascam rep., if I was able to

ask my local rep. (I'm in Belgium) about parts for my 38 and my

MS16, you should be able to as well. You should look for a

replacement zener that has the same package size and the same

power rating as the original. The same package size will assure

that it'll still fit on the circuitboard, and the same power

rating will assure that the voltage is spot on. Zener voltage is

specified at some particular reference current, and larger diodes

would presumably have a higher reference current. So using a 5W

zener in place of a 0.5W zener could, theoretically, have some

impact on the effective reference voltage. I don't know the

circuit you're dealing with so I don't know how important it is.

Digi-Key lists 19V zeners in DO-35 (0.5W), DO-41 (2W), and T-18

(5W) packages I would bet you want the DO-41. It's Digikey part

# 2EZ19D5MSCT-ND and they cost $0.75 apiece. ulysses - Hide

quoted text -- Show quoted text -
More options Jan 16 2007, 12:40 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: Justin Ulysses Morse
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2007 00:40:46 -0600

[...]

More options Jan 16 2007, 4:12 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2007 11:14:14 +0100

[...]

But wouldn't you expect the manufaturer specified Zener V to be

spot on,
regardless of the power rating?
But sure, a 2W would probably be plenty. I'm still trying to find

the
original diode's power rating though.
The diode will be floating about 1/2" off the PCB so size is not

too
important.

Digi-Key lists 19V zeners in DO-35 (0.5W), DO-41 (2W), and T-18

(5W)
packages I would bet you want the DO-41. It's Digikey part #
2EZ19D5MSCT-ND and they cost $0.75 apiece.

Cool, thanks!

JP

Reply Reply to author Forward Rate this post:

Text for clearing space

before posting.

before posting.

JP Gerard View profile
More options Jan 16 2007, 9:33 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2007 16:35:41 +0100

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
And I was just told by my local rep. that a 3W Zener floating

around 1/2"
from the board will work well.

I'm definitely doing the mod ASAP.

[...]

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le

message de
[...]

More options Jan 16 2007, 9:34 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2007 16:37:01 +0100

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
Ahem, meant a 20V 3W Zener...

But 19V will work too, of course...

JP

"JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet a écrit dans le message de news:

And I was just told by my local rep. that a 3W Zener floating

around 1/2"
from the board will work well.

I'm definitely doing the mod ASAP.

JP

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans le

message de news:
[...]

"Chris Lynch" a écrit dans

le message
de
[...]

Discussion subject changed to "Tascam MS-16 diodes found, still

need gas relays" by Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch View profile
More options Jan 16 2007, 11:49 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: (Chris Lynch)
Date: 16 Jan 2007 09:49:40 -0800
Subject: Tascam MS-16 diodes found, still need gas relays

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
I finally found out how to contact Tascam after fumbling around

their
website for a while, here's the info:

Mark V Electronics, Inc. ,
8019 E. Slauson Avenue , Montebello, CA 90640 , ,

http://www.markvelectronics.com , Tel: 800-423-FIVE (orders

outside Canada) , 800-521-MARK (orders in Canada) , 213-888-8988

(catalog/info) Fax: 213-888-6868 ,

They responded to my e-mail with this:

"The diodes, part number 5224544601, is available at $.55 cents

each.
The relays, p/n 5290010400, is available at $13.40 each. Please

add $4
for postage/freight per order for UPS ground service within
CONTINENTAL USA plus local and state sales taxes where

applicable.
Prices quoted are only for SHIPMENT WITHIN THE U.S. or its
territories."

I bought the diodes and a service manual and the whole thing is

around
$60 USD from Tascam because I just don't trust myself to use a
different diode, and this'll just be easier. I asked if those

relays
were the gas filled ones, but he didn't think so. Where would I

find
those? Note that the diode part number has changed.

Thanks for all the info, and I hope this helps!

#
2EZ19D5MSCT-ND and they cost $0.75 apiece.

Cool, thanks!

JP

Reply Reply to author Forward Rate this post:

Text for clearing space

before posting.

before posting.

JP Gerard View profile
More options Jan 16 2007, 12:11 pm

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2007 19:13:51 +0100

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

"The diodes, part number 5224544601, is available at $.55 cents

each.
The relays, p/n 5290010400, is available at $13.40 each. Please

add $4
for postage/freight per order for UPS ground service within
CONTINENTAL USA plus local and state sales taxes where

applicable.
Prices quoted are only for SHIPMENT WITHIN THE U.S. or its
territories."

Wow, buy Omron Relays, they're cheaper and much better.

I bought the diodes and a service manual and the whole thing is

around
$60 USD from Tascam because I just don't trust myself to use a
different diode, and this'll just be easier. I asked if those

relays
were the gas filled ones, but he didn't think so. Where would

I find
those? Note that the diode part number has changed.

Sounds about right.
You'll learn a LOT from that manual.
The big electronics parts suppliers will have 24V Relays in

stock, no prob.

Thanks for all the info, and I hope this helps!
-Chris

Hey, thanks for pointig out the problem.
I'll do the mod next week and keep you posted, but I don't expect

anything
spectacular.
Just solid, reliable operation would be good...

JP

[...]

Discussion subject changed to "Tascam MS-16 diode prob. (?)" by

Justin Ulysses Morse

Justin Ulysses Morse View profile
More options Jan 16 2007, 4:59 pm

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: Justin Ulysses Morse
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2007 16:59:06 -0600

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

JP Gerard jpgerard@skynet wrote:
But wouldn't you expect the manufaturer specified Zener V to be

spot on,
regardless of the power rating?

It'll only be spot-on if it has the specified amount of current

going
through it. It'll probably be very close anyway though.

But sure, a 2W would probably be plenty. I'm still trying to

find the
original diode's power rating though.
The diode will be floating about 1/2" off the PCB so size is

not too
important.

It's the length that you have to look at. A DO-35 package uses a

pin
spacing of 0.3" while a DO-41 package uses 0.4". Those 5W T-18
packages are probably longer. You can pretty much tell the power
rating by the package size, too. 500mW zeners are in a DO-35

package
while 2W zeners are DO-41. So measure the pin spacing on the
circuitboard and you'll know which diode to order.

ulysses

Reply Reply to author Forward Rate this post:

Text for clearing space

before posting.

before posting.

Discussion subject changed to "Tascam MS-16 diodes found, still

need gas relays" by Scott Dorsey

Scott Dorsey View profile
Chris Lynch wrote: "The diodes, part

number 5224544601, is available at $.55 cents each. The relays,

p/n 5290010400, is available at $13.40 each. Please add $4 for

postage/freight per order for UPS ground service within

CONTINENTAL USA plus local and state sales taxes where

applicable. Prices quoted are only for SHIPMENT WITHIN THE U.S.

or its territories." Don't use the original replacement relays!

They will just go bad again... I think there is an Omron in the

Digi-Key catalogue with gold contacts and an identical pinout.

--scott -- "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

More options Jan 19 2007, 9:32 pm

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: (Scott Dorsey)
Date: 19 Jan 2007 22:32:19 -0500

Chris Lynch wrote:

[...]

So, I have 20V 5W Zeners in there and all is well. Works like it

should... but I need a good sessions with a bunch of punch ins to

really put it to the test. I know, 5W is overkill but that's all

I could get on short notice. So there, I think I replaced most

things now except resistors, coils, (most) ICs, transistors and

FETs. An IC upgrade is of course a possibility. Then no more

tweaking. Or perhaps I'll change the gain structure, I think

there's too much signal loss in the PB amps. Hmmm... JP
More options Jan 20 2007, 10:06 am

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "JP Gerard" jpgerard@skynet
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2007 17:08:31 +0100

[...]

More options Feb 18 2007, 2:10 pm

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: (Chris Lynch)
Date: 18 Feb 2007 12:10:05 -0800

original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
I'm afraid I don't know how to spec out a new relay. I've been

digikey, but there are thousands of Omron relays and I don't know
where to start! Do you have the digikey part number? Well, as

lame
as I am with electronics, I seem to have successfully fixed the

diode
problem, so thanks for everyone's help! Score one for the slow

guy!

-Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

30+ pages snipped.