Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tektronix policy concerning old manuals

Folk,

I have an old Tektronix 4662 digital plotter with some
manuals. The copyright in the user manual is 1976.

Nothing for this model was evident in the Tek Web site
and I've begun scanning the pages to png files.

I wonder whether Tek will allow me to post the scans on
a Web site for public access? Can anyone comment
on their policy or send an address of someone at Tek
to contact?

Thanks for any help, ... Peter Easthope

peasthope at shaw dot ca
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5 Sep 2007 16:20:19 GMT, Jim Yanik put finger to
keyboard and composed:

wrote in
ups.com:

Folk,

I have an old Tektronix 4662 digital plotter with some
manuals. The copyright in the user manual is 1976.

Nothing for this model was evident in the Tek Web site
and I've begun scanning the pages to png files.

I wonder whether Tek will allow me to post the scans on
a Web site for public access? Can anyone comment
on their policy or send an address of someone at Tek
to contact?

Thanks for any help, ... Peter Easthope

peasthope at shaw dot ca
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/

If you do post them,TEK is not going to raise a big stink about it.
Of course,if you ASK them,their beancounters will tell you it's not OK;
an "automatic" refusal.

Not TEK, but some time ago I asked Fluke if I could post the service
manual for a PM97 Scopemeter. They didn't refuse, but they didn't
reply either, so I scanned and posted it anyway. BTW, they no longer
supply the manual.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote in
news
On 5 Sep 2007 16:20:19 GMT, Jim Yanik put finger to
keyboard and composed:

wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

In my own experience with TEK,most managers typically said "no" reflexively
after a question was asked of them.
You could tell they didn't even consider the question before speaking.
But they were always 'saying' they wanted employees to take initiative...
(they were very good coming up with slogans;"talked the talk,but didn't
walk the walk".)

One time,they even asked for comments when they had already predetermined
their actions,and brought in Upper Management(the BIG guys) to meet with
out local manager before the scheduled meeting to tell them the way it was
going to be.
A trap for the unwary.

I'm very surprised they posted a blanket approval for copying obsolete
manuals. They must have gotten annoyed with all the requests.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]