Posted to sci.electronics.repair
vey vey is offline

Default Oknyo DX-C390

This is a 6 CD player. I've had it for a few years. I like it because I
can control it through the amp's remote.

Powers on okay.
Carousel will not rotate and it will not attempt to read a cd.

Before I open it up, does anyone have any ideas on what to look at first?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"vey" wrote in message
This is a 6 CD player. I've had it for a few years. I like it because I
can control it through the amp's remote.

Powers on okay.
Carousel will not rotate and it will not attempt to read a cd.

Before I open it up, does anyone have any ideas on what to look at first?

Problems in the power supply would be the first thing to check for. Possibly
a missing rail ? Motor volts are often a separate regulated supply on
players, and all motors (loading, spindle, sled) are usually fed off the
same rail. You could try manually shifting the laser up its slides a bit,
and then powering on. If laser homes, then probably not a power supply
issue. If it stays where you pushed it to, then it may well be.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"vey" wrote in message
This is a 6 CD player. I've had it for a few years. I like it because I
can control it through the amp's remote.

Powers on okay.
Carousel will not rotate and it will not attempt to read a cd.

Before I open it up, does anyone have any ideas on what to look at first?

Problems in the power supply would be the first thing to check for. Possibly
a missing rail ? Motor volts are often a separate regulated supply on
players, and all motors (loading, spindle, sled) are usually fed off the
same rail. You could try manually shifting the laser up its slides a bit,
and then powering on. If laser homes, then probably not a power supply
issue. If it stays where you pushed it to, then it may well be.

Arfa

Motors usually get gunky after a while too.
Cleaning the motors out might help for a bit,until the commutator glazes
over again. (usually the problem that I run across.)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
vey vey is offline

PhattyMo wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
"vey" wrote in message
[...]

Much easier than I thought.
Opened the top, saw a ribbon cable connected to the top board, unplugged
it, replugged it and it started working fine after that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

vey wrote:
PhattyMo wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
"vey" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! Nice..

I once fixed a friends Playstation that had Coke spilled on it.. simply
by taking it apart,and putting it back together.Worked fine after that.
*shrug* :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PhattyMo" wrote in message
vey wrote:
PhattyMo wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
"vey" wrote in message
[...]

Good when you get a nice simple one. I was in my friend's shop on Friday. He
had just taken the back off an LCD TV/DVD combo. The DVD deck stood
vertically inside the back with a slot that 'sucked' the disc in. The
complaint was "DVD not working". Sure enough, it didn't take a disc off you.
Following the wires back from the loading motor, they went to a small
intermediate board at the side of the deck, that also had the disc sense
switch on it. A small flexiprint went from here to the main board. When this
was followed back, we found that it was in its socket at the far end, at an
angle. When it was put back in properly, all of the motors sprang back to
life, and it took a disc .... And that was it ! Nothing else. Zip. Nada.

A bit of further poking about and examining, brought us to the flexiprint
connected to the laser. Instead of this being inserted into the slotted
opening of the ZIF connector on the laser, it had been carefully folded back
on itself, and inserted into the gap between the plastic body of the
connector, and its pcb connecting pins !

Putting this back correctly immediately caused the laser to light, and the
disc to be read without issue.

Your immediate thought is what the customer thought they were trying to fix,
or whichever shady back street dealer they bought it off thought he was
trying to do, but also, when I see this sort of 'fault', I can't help but
think of the TV consumer 'trap' programmes, and trading standards offices,
where they try to find and expose 'rogue' repairers who fix the simple
wire-off problem, (which would never be a 'real' problem anyway) and then
charge for a new laser. I once saw a programme where they popped a spring
off a Philips charlie deck, causing it to jam up. The poor engineer
concerned quoted for a repair kit to be fitted, as you would have on one of
these that was jammed, and said that it would have to go back to the
workshop to have it fitted. He was then immediately 'exposed' as a robber
and charlatan, by a po-faced guy in a brown warehouseman's coat, who
purported to be an 'expert'. I felt really sorry for the poor engineer, who
struck me as an honest guy, who was just trying to do the best for his
customer, and avoid a costly re-fail. For that reason, I am always a bit
wary of the 'simple' ones these days ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"vey" wrote in message
PhattyMo wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
"vey" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect the failure will recur. We just don't ordinarily get this lucky.

Mark Z.