Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default What is this red rubbery DC motor part?

(crossposted)

Looking at the 1/16" x 1/4" red rubbery extrusion from the
non-functional end of a DC motor. It looks like heat shrink tubing
over a much shorter extrusion, but it's softer and I don't see any
opening on the end of it.

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.friends
Subject: What is this red rubbery DC motor part?

What is it for? Should I be concerned about damaging it or whatever
it's protecting?

Thank you.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

John Doe wrote in news:0FOwi.27871$RX.10757
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.friends

What is it for? Should I be concerned about damaging it or whatever
it's protecting?

Thank you.

Probably just a cap to keep crap from getting into the bushing at the end.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Probably just a cap to keep crap from getting into the bushing at the end.

Go to the binaries group he referenced and look at the photo. It's not over
the ball bearing, but closes some kind of drilling or such, next to the
bearing.

Does it feel like there's something within/underneath the "red rubbery"
substance? Or is it just a rubber plug?

From the photos it looks like it simply keeps that capillary closed. I'd make
sure it stayed closed. If yo want to expose the end of this motor, you might
replace it with a threaded hex plug or such. But that requires drilling and
tapping the hole, which introduces other contaminants. Maybe just silicon
sealer in place of the plug?

Good luck,

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.friends

What is it for? Should I be concerned about damaging it or whatever
it's protecting?

Thank you.

It looks like it is simply a plug that is covering a lubrication port

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

Probably just a cap to keep crap from getting into the bushing at the end.

Go to the binaries group he referenced

No such group on astraweb.

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic would conceivably be more suitable.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:

Probably just a cap to keep crap from getting into the bushing at
the end.

Go to the binaries group he referenced

No such group on astraweb.

I should have checked, thanks for the heads up.

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic would conceivably be more
suitable.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I guess it's a plug over a 608 ball
bearing.

What's the chance of there being only a sleeve bearing and no ball
bearing on the other (operational) end of that motor? I can't tell by
looking, but doesn't look like there is enough room for a 608 ball
bearing in there.

Thank you.