Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Nuvista tubes - need a tester or adapter

A friend of mine has a box of Nuvista tubes, 8393 and 7586 that he
wants to test. These are the tiny little guys produced in that last
days of tubes.

Anyone know where we can get an adapter or even a tester with the
adapter built in?

TIA

John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:30:49 -0400, John Bachman wrote:

A friend of mine has a box of Nuvista tubes, 8393 and 7586 that he
wants to test. These are the tiny little guys produced in that last
days of tubes.

Anyone know where we can get an adapter or even a tester with the
adapter built in?

TIA

Aren't those Nuvistor tubes? Used to find those in TV tuners of lore.
Might try rec.audio tubes. Some of those guys are pretty sharp and may be
using nuvistors in audio amps.

Musical Fidelity make a nuvistor preamp (called 'Nuvista' oddly enough). I
think they bought up just about every NOS example in the world to be able to
keep making them and supplying replacements. I had to get a new set in for
one that I had in for repair a few weeks ago. One had gone microphonic, but
MF insist that you change them as a set. The shop that I was doing the
repair for actually got them in, and I think they were around eighty odd
quid for the set of four. There are plenty of schematics on the net for
nuvistor based amps, and lots of data. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to
cobble together a base for one using something like the sockets stripped
from a turned pin IC socket set in a bit of PCB material, or even MDF and
hard wired at a pinch, and then to knock up a little circuit that
characterised the basic operational parameters for the device. Even an
actual preamp to test it under 'real' operational conditions.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 15, 2:30 pm, John Bachman
wrote:
A friend of mine has a box of Nuvista tubes, 8393 and 7586 that he
wants to test. These are the tiny little guys produced in that last
days of tubes.

Anyone know where we can get an adapter or even a tester with the
adapter built in?

TIA

John

John,
I have a Hickcock tubetester and can test them for you. Email me, my
address isn't bunged.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in :

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:30:49 -0400, John Bachman wrote:

A friend of mine has a box of Nuvista tubes, 8393 and 7586 that he
wants to test. These are the tiny little guys produced in that last
days of tubes.

Anyone know where we can get an adapter or even a tester with the
adapter built in?

TIA

Aren't those Nuvistor tubes? Used to find those in TV tuners of lore.
Might try rec.audio tubes. Some of those guys are pretty sharp and may be
using nuvistors in audio amps.

My 60s era Navy Surplus tube tester has Nuvistor sockets.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 05:38:40 -0700, carneyke
wrote:

On Aug 15, 2:30 pm, John Bachman
wrote:
A friend of mine has a box of Nuvista tubes, 8393 and 7586 that he
wants to test. These are the tiny little guys produced in that last
days of tubes.

Anyone know where we can get an adapter or even a tester with the
adapter built in?

TIA

John

John,
I have a Hickcock tubetester and can test them for you. Email me, my
address isn't bunged.

Thanks for the offer but we found nuvistor sockets and will make an
adapter for the tube tester.

Thanks to all for your help.

John