Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Leave fan on all the time, better for evaporator coils?

Was wondering if, for an A/C or Dehumidifier, are the evaporator coils MORE
prone to rust if the fan is NOT allowed to keep running for a period of time
after the compressor shuts off, or does that not make any difference in
terms of rust developing in the evaporator coils. Seems to me if the fan is
allowed to run for a period of time, this helps dry the evaporator
coils...would that mean they are less likely to rust or corrode?

Also wondering if the compressor itself being shut off for as little as
exactly 2 minutes is bad for a dehumidifier's compressor. I'm finding that
most dehumidifiers I've tried can sometimes only turn off the compressor as
little as 2 minutes at a time before turning the compressor back on,
although the compressor stays on for longer period. Would I be better off
just running it continuous mode for X hours per day and shutting it off with
a timer for Y hours a day rather than leaving it on 24 hours with it
cycling?

By the way, I did use a timer for a Friedrich (made by LG) unit, and, STILL,
it only lasted 2 summers....can it be that if it says "Made in China" that I
can only expect it to last 2 years no matter what...or was the unit that
died after 2 years the exception? Is Amana better than Friedrich even
though both are "Made in China"? The Amana is not believed to be made by
LG.

J.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote in message
[...]

The evaporator shouldn't rust at all, they're normally made of aluminum,
often with copper coils, but I've seen all-aluminum ones as well. Ideally
the fan should run for a bit after the compressor shuts off to prevent
bacterial growth though.

2 minutes is quite a short cycle, it's probably enough to let the pressure
equalize, but I'd rather see something closer to 5 minutes for good measure.

Leaving it on all the time will definitely hit your electric bill, but it
depends on how much it otherwise has to run to keep the place comfortable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Was wondering if, for an A/C or Dehumidifier, are the evaporator coils
MORE prone to rust if the fan is NOT allowed to keep running for a period
of time after the compressor shuts off, or does that not make any
difference in terms of rust developing in the evaporator coils. Seems to
me if the fan is allowed to run for a period of time, this helps dry the
evaporator coils...would that mean they are less likely to rust or
corrode?

Even ignoring the corrosion (which shouldn't be a problem, they're
normally made to be wet), we leave our fan on all of the time. It avoids
hot/cold spots in the house, and keeps us from needing to run it quite so
much. Ceiling fans, even on low speed, help too.

steve