Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Acer LCD case locked.. K-LOCK?..

Hi guys.. I am just getting my feet wet in LCD repair and came across
an acer AL1916 that i cant seem to open. there were only 2 screws that
i have seen and then also noticed a lock picture with a K .. there is
a small hole.. i cant see much down there i assume this is some sort
of security key?. I tried to pic down there with no results.. does
anyone know how to open these without a key if thats the case or are
these molded shut somewhere?.. thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chad Entringer wrote:

Hi guys.. I am just getting my feet wet in LCD repair and came across
an acer AL1916 that i cant seem to open. there were only 2 screws that
i have seen and then also noticed a lock picture with a K .. there is
a small hole.. i cant see much down there i assume this is some sort
of security key?. I tried to pic down there with no results.. does
anyone know how to open these without a key if thats the case or are
these molded shut somewhere?.. thanks.

Do you have any experience dismantling a Toshiba Satellite Pro 420 CDT? or know
of a plce where I can fidnout how to dismantle it. The power switch seems to be
gone an I would like to look inside. I didnot have much luck searching or the
info. Thanks for you help.

regards
hg

--
to reply remove STOP from email addy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 19, 12:03 am, Chad Entringer wrote:
Hi guys.. I am just getting my feet wet in LCD repair and came across
an acer AL1916 that i cant seem to open. there were only 2 screws that
i have seen and then also noticed a lock picture with a K .. there is
a small hole.. i cant see much down there i assume this is some sort
of security key?. I tried to pic down there with no results.. does
anyone know how to open these without a key if thats the case or are
these molded shut somewhere?.. thanks.

if they have a K they are most likely torx screws which you need a
special type of driver with a hollow tube in the center to fit around
the pin to turn them. go to a computer shop and ask for torx drivers
they will know what to give you (make sure you ask for the hollow
pointed tips)

hope this helos

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ok i overlooked this one.. its just a snap-tight case.. prys open ..
no i havnt worked on much outside the crt realm until recently.
good luck on the cdt.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chad Entringer wrote:
a lock picture with a K .. there is a small hole.. i cant see much
down there i assume this is some sort of security key?.

If it is a rectangular hole it is for attaching an anti-theft lock like
found on laptop computers. It has nothing to do with getting the case off.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The holes in many portable gizmos are for attaching an anti-theft leash to
them, so thet can't "wander off". I think the company that makes the
security cables might be Kingston.
Now you can secure these plastic-cased electronic devices to a counter/desk
with an aircraft-grade cable.

Cheers
WB

"Chad Entringer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi guys.. I am just getting my feet wet in LCD repair and came across
an acer AL1916 that i cant seem to open. there were only 2 screws that
i have seen and then also noticed a lock picture with a K .. there is
a small hole.. i cant see much down there i assume this is some sort
of security key?. I tried to pic down there with no results.. does
anyone know how to open these without a key if thats the case or are
these molded shut somewhere?.. thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chad Entringer wrote:

Hi guys.. I am just getting my feet wet in LCD repair and came across
an acer AL1916 that i cant seem to open. there were only 2 screws that
i have seen and then also noticed a lock picture with a K .. there is
a small hole.. i cant see much down there i assume this is some sort
of security key?. I tried to pic down there with no results.. does
anyone know how to open these without a key if thats the case or are
these molded shut somewhere?.. thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Security_Slot
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chad Entringer wrote in news:1184817818.076524.99060
@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

i have seen and then also noticed a lock picture with a K .. there is
a small hole.. i cant see much down there i assume this is some sort
of security key?.

No. It is a slot for a security device to be installed.

Screws could be under feet, plastic covers, labels, or under the keyboard.

Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM
door knobs with key lock and push button lock Nospam Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 05:05 PM
Locked out mr s UK diy 5 November 29th 05 09:28 AM
GE electric slide-in self cleaning auto lock won't lock door sunni Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 12:47 PM
Locked out of own house-----almost John Chapman UK diy 13 January 20th 04 12:56 AM