Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

Never seen this before.

A HDD of mine (IBM Deskstar 20GB IC35L020AVER07-0) 'died' when I restarted
Windows (XP btw FWIW). Windows shut down OK seemingly but wouldn't restart.

It totally 'locked up' the PC with no error message. Never seen anything quite
like that before so it took me a little while to pinpoint it. The BIOS found the
drive OK btw.

Anyway, I got things sorted and then re-attached it as a secondary drive.

Trying to look at it, Windows Explorer 'froze' for a bit but it did load a drive
icon eventually. However Windows Explorer was of no further help.

I then used XP's command.com and got the cryptic message 'cyclic redundancy
error'.

Any ideas what's up ? Is the drive destined for silicon hell or is it
recoverable ? I'm wondering if the system area's data's been trashed for
example.

Graham

my cat died zero Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 05:59 AM
Monitor died, Should I even try to fix it? Mark Healey Electronics Repair 2 March 14th 06 04:18 PM
OT - Now MY Truck Died Too J T Woodworking 29 January 10th 06 09:52 PM
My Dan-Mig died Gunner Metalworking 4 February 2nd 05 05:39 PM