Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

Default Beautifying a 1979 Peavey Combo

Minor repair to it but as it has a 15 inch Black Widow speaker etc, the
owner was thinking of giving it a make-over.
I went to my local electro-plating firm but to do the 8 corner protectors,
and 4 other bits of rust spotted chromed steel would have been 50 GBP / 100
USD - bit too much . Hampshire Electroplating, Empress Rd, Southampton,
I was there when a vintage car owner was picking up his perfect
mirror-finnish chromed headlights that looked like those American Fireman's
helmets.
Anyway, anyone any other ideas other than replacing with new to disguise
this rust spots. ? I tried on a similar bit of scrap , rusted chrome steel
fluxing, heating and lead/tin solder but it did not flow and removed what
chrome was remaining.
Anyone tried chrome-plating , do it yourself ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
Minor repair to it but as it has a 15 inch Black Widow speaker etc, the
owner was thinking of giving it a make-over.
I went to my local electro-plating firm but to do the 8 corner protectors,
and 4 other bits of rust spotted chromed steel would have been 50 GBP / 100
USD - bit too much . Hampshire Electroplating, Empress Rd, Southampton,
I was there when a vintage car owner was picking up his perfect
mirror-finnish chromed headlights that looked like those American Fireman's
helmets.
Anyway, anyone any other ideas other than replacing with new to disguise
this rust spots. ? I tried on a similar bit of scrap , rusted chrome steel
fluxing, heating and lead/tin solder but it did not flow and removed what
chrome was remaining.
Anyone tried chrome-plating , do it yourself ?

Phone Peavey, 01536 461234, ask for spares and see if they have any in
stock. Or by some aftermarket ones from CPC or similar

Ron(UK)
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

In article , "N Cook" wrote:
Minor repair to it but as it has a 15 inch Black Widow speaker etc, the
owner was thinking of giving it a make-over.
I went to my local electro-plating firm but to do the 8 corner protectors,
and 4 other bits of rust spotted chromed steel would have been 50 GBP / 100
USD - bit too much . Hampshire Electroplating, Empress Rd, Southampton,
I was there when a vintage car owner was picking up his perfect
mirror-finnish chromed headlights that looked like those American Fireman's
helmets.
Anyway, anyone any other ideas other than replacing with new to disguise
this rust spots. ? I tried on a similar bit of scrap , rusted chrome steel
fluxing, heating and lead/tin solder but it did not flow and removed what
chrome was remaining.
Anyone tried chrome-plating , do it yourself ?

I briefly tried a JC Whitney kit, but it didn'r seem to be doing much on
a car bumper. It might work though.
Like we used to do on cars, wax on, wax off. Rub Rub Rub.

greg
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Half way down the page