Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default Thoughts, tips, suggestions on what UPS to use?

I've got two computers - a PIV and a PIII that share a monitor. I use
them primarily for doing audio/video.

I thought I'd look into a UPS. What I'm looking for is mainly
something to guard against momentary power outs that might happen in
the middle of tweaking a file or the like. When I hear the lightning
coming near, I shut down and unplug everything. But around here, it
seems like the power can flick off at any time.

How much UPS would I need to protect and keep both computers going in
the event of a short brown out or power loss or keep them running at
least long enough to shut things down if it looks like the power is
going to be off for a while.

I've seen where there are issues with the type of power that comes out
of some UPS units. Are any of the units at Best Buy/Circuit City -
such as the APC brand - any good? What are important features to look
for? These various units have charts indicating how long they should
power a computer, but I don't know how realistic they are.

On the other end, how much unit would I need to keep a computer going
for say an hour if I were doing some rendering of a DVD and didn't
want to start over. I usually turn off the monitor when rendering
video, it's my understanding the monitor is a big power hog.

Thanks for all input.

Tips Tips Tips ( work at home) PUNJABI GUY Home Repair 1 June 9th 07 08:28 AM
your thoughts on this JoeM Home Repair 5 February 19th 07 04:05 PM
Thoughts on heating and the like.. The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 August 25th 06 10:12 AM
Thoughts / Suggestions on H frame hydraulic press... Pete C. Metalworking 9 May 31st 05 08:20 PM
Thoughts Ghodges2 Woodturning 53 November 21st 04 07:52 AM