Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony CRT TV Problem

My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This might be a good time to take advantage of your homeowners policy.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message
ups.com...
My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

11 year old tv ???????????

You have had your moneys worth. Buy another.

Regards

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 Jul, 02:41, 32andtwentyseven wrote:
My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

if its the shadowmask then a hard thump in the opposite direction can
sometimes fix it. Its a bit kill or cure though.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message
ups.com...
My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

Well some have responded about the shadow mask, but in this case I don't
think this is your problem. If the LED is blinking, I suspect a crack in the
circuit board near a heavy component, it's pretty common with a dropped set
and can cause smearing or other problems. Now if you have a blob of
incorrect color somewhere, it's probably the aperature grill in the tube
shifted. Those old Sonys are nice sets though, if there's no splotches of
color on the screen it's worth getting fixed, I have one that's several
years older and it still looks fantastic.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Highly probable the smearing on certain colours, particularly red, may be
due to the fact the CRT after 11 years is loosing emission. Adjust the
picture so the smearing is evident, then lower the contrast and brightness
to see if the smear tends to diminish as the settings are lowered. If they
do, then it is time for another CRT (at least), and as posted after 11 years
off the thing for new technology. The other thing is maybe the registration
(Convergence) has changed but a drop normally will not do that. The suspect
is one, the aperture grid assembly, AKA Shadow mask, has become dislodged:
or two, the flippin thing is just getting worn out.
"James Sweet" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 Jul, 07:27, "Terry" wrote:
"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message

ups.com...

My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

11 year old tv ???????????

You have had your moneys worth. Buy another.

But I really love this TV

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 Jul, 08:08, "James Sweet" wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Do you have any idea who I should take it to to have it fixed
and how much it should roughly cost?

The other problem that is has and the real reason that it needs to be
fixed is that it causes interference to my digital box so it doesn't
work correctly when near the TV. I should have put this my my original
post really.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 Jul, 12:10, "Art" wrote:
Highly probable the smearing on certain colours, particularly red, may be
due to the fact the CRT after 11 years is loosing emission.

The set isn't loosing anything with time as far as I can see. Really,
the picture was 100% perfect before it fell on its front.

Adjust the
picture so the smearing is evident, then lower the contrast and brightness
to see if the smear tends to diminish as the settings are lowered.

Ok I have done that. Yeah, the smear does reduce as the settings are
lowered. But then so does the rest of the picture.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Smear going away with diminished contrast and brightness tells the
experienced technician that the emission of the picture tube (CRT) has
diminished to the point that it can now longer produce a quality picture.
Find out what the CRT will cost to be replaced then decide if the 11 year
old set is worth it or if you may be wiser to invest in something newer,
love the old relic or not!!
"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 8 Jul, 12:10, "Art" wrote:
Highly probable the smearing on certain colours, particularly red, may be
due to the fact the CRT after 11 years is loosing emission.

The set isn't loosing anything with time as far as I can see. Really,
the picture was 100% perfect before it fell on its front.

Adjust the
picture so the smearing is evident, then lower the contrast and
brightness
to see if the smear tends to diminish as the settings are lowered.

Ok I have done that. Yeah, the smear does reduce as the settings are
lowered. But then so does the rest of the picture.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com,
32andtwentyseven wrote:

On 8 Jul, 07:27, "Terry" wrote:
"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message

ups.com...

My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

11 year old tv ???????????

You have had your moneys worth. Buy another.

But I really love this TV

then take it to a repair shop. i don't subscribe to the "throw it away
and buy new" philosophy that's so rampant these days.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. Do you have any idea who I should take it to to have it fixed
and how much it should roughly cost?

The other problem that is has and the real reason that it needs to be
fixed is that it causes interference to my digital box so it doesn't
work correctly when near the TV. I should have put this my my original
post really.

I don't even have any idea where you're located, and since I repair my own
stuff I don't know of any shops in my area anyway but you should be able to
find something in the phone book.

Repair cost is likely to be $150-$200 depending on what they have to do.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Art" wrote in message
. ..
Smear going away with diminished contrast and brightness tells the
experienced technician that the emission of the picture tube (CRT) has
diminished to the point that it can now longer produce a quality picture.
Find out what the CRT will cost to be replaced then decide if the 11 year
old set is worth it or if you may be wiser to invest in something newer,
love the old relic or not!!

No way, yes those symptoms are characteristic of a worn CRT but he stated
clearly that the problem occurred suddenly. Weak CRTs wear out over a long
period of time, they don't go from bright and beautiful to smeared and dim
in a day. There are many other problems that can mimic a worn CRT, since the
set took a whack I'd bet money it's nothing but a fracture in one of the
boards.

If only I had a dollar for every TV I've fixed that someone had diagnosed as
a bad tube that was actually something else.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9 Jul, 00:53, "James Sweet" wrote:
Thanks. Do you have any idea who I should take it to to have it fixed
and how much it should roughly cost?

The other problem that is has and the real reason that it needs to be
fixed is that it causes interference to my digital box so it doesn't
work correctly when near the TV. I should have put this my my original
post really.

I don't even have any idea where you're located, and since I repair my own
stuff I don't know of any shops in my area anyway but you should be able to
find something in the phone book.

Repair cost is likely to be $150-$200 depending on what they have to do.

OK new TV it is then!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 Jul, 00:53, "James Sweet" wrote:
Thanks. Do you have any idea who I should take it to to have it fixed
and how much it should roughly cost?

The other problem that is has and the real reason that it needs to be
fixed is that it causes interference to my digital box so it doesn't
work correctly when near the TV. I should have put this my my original
post really.

I don't even have any idea where you're located, and since I repair my
own
stuff I don't know of any shops in my area anyway but you should be able
find something in the phone book.

Repair cost is likely to be $150-$200 depending on what they have to do.

OK new TV it is then!

Your choice, but keep in mind you'll have to spend a lot more than $150 to
get a TV as well made as your Sony.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9 Jul, 05:09, "James Sweet" wrote:
32andtwentyseven wrote in message

Repair cost is likely to be $150-$200 depending on what they have to do.

OK new TV it is then!

Your choice, but keep in mind you'll have to spend a lot more than $150 to
get a TV as well made as your Sony.

Actually I was planning to get another old Sony for about $40 second
hand.