Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Sony CRT TV Problem

Highly probable the smearing on certain colours, particularly red, may be
due to the fact the CRT after 11 years is loosing emission. Adjust the
picture so the smearing is evident, then lower the contrast and brightness
to see if the smear tends to diminish as the settings are lowered. If they
do, then it is time for another CRT (at least), and as posted after 11 years
off the thing for new technology. The other thing is maybe the registration
(Convergence) has changed but a drop normally will not do that. The suspect
is one, the aperture grid assembly, AKA Shadow mask, has become dislodged:
or two, the flippin thing is just getting worn out.
"James Sweet" wrote in message

"32andtwentyseven" wrote in message
ups.com...
My TV was dropped a very small distance and ever since the picture has
a kind of smearing on certain colours. Also the Standby light now
flashes a special pattern as if to tell me something is wrong. It was
a high end Sony, about 11 years ago. Everything was perfect until it
got a drop a few months ago.

Any idea what the problem is?

Well some have responded about the shadow mask, but in this case I don't
think this is your problem. If the LED is blinking, I suspect a crack in
the circuit board near a heavy component, it's pretty common with a
dropped set and can cause smearing or other problems. Now if you have a
blob of incorrect color somewhere, it's probably the aperature grill in
the tube shifted. Those old Sonys are nice sets though, if there's no
splotches of color on the screen it's worth getting fixed, I have one
that's several years older and it still looks fantastic.