Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default high-pitched whine - TV went blank

My 12 y.o. 25" Zenith TV suddenly went blank, started emitting a high-
pitched squeal and the smell of frying electronic components until I
unplugged it. I did a little research into a high-pitched squeal and
found it's usually something fixable. Is it worth trying to have it
fixed (I've never worked on a TV's innards), or should I
dump...err...recycle it and get a new one? I paid $265 new. Thx.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"shegeek72" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 12 y.o. 25" Zenith TV suddenly went blank, started emitting a high-
pitched squeal and the smell of frying electronic components until I
unplugged it. I did a little research into a high-pitched squeal and
found it's usually something fixable. Is it worth trying to have it
fixed (I've never worked on a TV's innards), or should I
dump...err...recycle it and get a new one? I paid $265 new. Thx.

12 years old would place the manufacture in the mid 90s, I'm not sure if it
applies to this particular set, but Zenith had a huge rash of CRT failures
in 25" sets made in that era. I wouldn't put much effort into repairing that
particular set, older 25" CRT sets are a dime a dozen, you can find a
perfectly good one on Craigslist for very little.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 4, 11:29 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:

12 years old would place the manufacture in the mid 90s, I'm not sure if it
applies to this particular set, but Zenith had a huge rash of CRT failures
in 25" sets made in that era. I wouldn't put much effort into repairing that
particular set, older 25" CRT sets are a dime a dozen, you can find a
perfectly good one on Craigslist for very little.

Thanks for the advice! I got on craigslist and found several that look
interesting, like a Philips 26" HDTV CRT WIDESCREEN for $195. Owner
says it was purchased in 2004.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 5, 2:29 am, "James Sweet" wrote:
"shegeek72" wrote in message

oups.com...

My 12 y.o. 25" Zenith TV suddenly went blank, started emitting a high-
pitched squeal and the smell of frying electronic components until I
unplugged it. I did a little research into a high-pitched squeal and
found it's usually something fixable. Is it worth trying to have it
fixed (I've never worked on a TV's innards), or should I
dump...err...recycle it and get a new one? I paid $265 new. Thx.

12 years old would place the manufacture in the mid 90s, I'm not sure if it
applies to this particular set, but Zenith had a huge rash of CRT failures
in 25" sets made in that era. I wouldn't put much effort into repairing that
particular set, older 25" CRT sets are a dime a dozen, you can find a
perfectly good one on Craigslist for very little.

Shut up.

If this bitch (Original Poster) would have googled first then she
would have found that out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 5, 7:45 pm, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

If this bitch (Original Poster) would have googled first then she
would have found that out.

Looks like I encountered a sci.electronics.repair troll.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"shegeek72" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 5, 7:45 pm, Malissa Baldwin wrote:

If this bitch (Original Poster) would have googled first then she
would have found that out.

Looks like I encountered a sci.electronics.repair troll.

Yes, that troll is a regular around here.