Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Kchibo KK-C55 radio - AM tuning steps wrong

I purchased this radio at Sharper Image some time ago. It's great for
FM and shortwave reception, but AM (aka MW) reception is kinda' weird
because of the 9 khz tuning steps which are used outside North
America. Even if you key in the correct frequency, the radio rounds up/
down to the next 9 khz step. I looked inside this thing expecting to
find a DIP switch or something like that for getting the AM tuning
steps to the normal 10 khz but I didn't see one. Any hints out there?

Jeff
Louisville, KY

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article . com,
says...
I purchased this radio at Sharper Image some time ago. It's great for
FM and shortwave reception, but AM (aka MW) reception is kinda' weird
because of the 9 khz tuning steps which are used outside North
America. Even if you key in the correct frequency, the radio rounds up/
down to the next 9 khz step. I looked inside this thing expecting to
find a DIP switch or something like that for getting the AM tuning
steps to the normal 10 khz but I didn't see one. Any hints out there?

Do you have the manual? Sometimes there is information on how to change
the stepping. It may often be a series of button pushes while powering
up or something like that.

I found it on Autralian eBay, so it may not be designed for the US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Tuning-A...wave-Radio-C55
_W0QQitemZ200115295005QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16702QQcm dZViewItem

A Google search found these:
http://www.dpmega.com.hk/usermanual/...UserManual.pdf (seems to imply
only 9KHz.)
http://www.tutorials-xe.com/REPAIR/Kchibo-mods/ (appears to be dead.)
http://www.kchibo.com.cn/kk/c55shuo.htm (if you do this through google,
the Translate option gives you something as readable as the typical
Chinese/English manual!)

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JazzyJeff wrote in news:1180750519.198279.169310
@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I purchased this radio at Sharper Image some time ago. It's great for
FM and shortwave reception, but AM (aka MW) reception is kinda' weird
because of the 9 khz tuning steps which are used outside North
America. Even if you key in the correct frequency, the radio rounds up/
down to the next 9 khz step. I looked inside this thing expecting to
find a DIP switch or something like that for getting the AM tuning
steps to the normal 10 khz but I didn't see one. Any hints out there?

Jeff
Louisville, KY

Check for a row of diodes connected to the key scan matrix, jumpers, or
bridgeable/bridged solder pads.