Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Oscilloscope repair Tektronix 2246 Chicago

Hello everyone my Tektronix 2246 oscilloscope just went out on me
tonight. First it started making frequencies noises randomly, then it
took multiple tries to get it started. Now it just makes chirp and
doesn't start all together. I opened it up at looked at the power
supply and it looks fine, no obvious damage. Is there a common problem
i could fix on my own? Can someone recommend a good repair shop in the
Chicago land area.
Thanks
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 1, 12:51 am, wrote:
Hello everyone my Tektronix 2246 oscilloscope just went out on me
tonight. First it started making frequencies noises randomly, then it
took multiple tries to get it started. Now it just makes chirp and
doesn't start all together. I opened it up at looked at the power
supply and it looks fine, no obvious damage. Is there a common problem
i could fix on my own? Can someone recommend a good repair shop in the
Chicago land area.
Thanks
Rich

Could be bad capacitors in the power supply, they can cause audible
noise.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1 Jun., 06:51, wrote:
Hello everyone my Tektronix 2246 oscilloscope just went out on me
tonight. First it started making frequencies noises randomly, then it
took multiple tries to get it started. Now it just makes chirp and
doesn't start all together. I opened it up at looked at the power
supply and it looks fine, no obvious damage. Is there a common problem
i could fix on my own? Can someone recommend a good repair shop in the
Chicago land area.
Thanks
Rich

Bad/dry caps in the Tektronix pwr supply of this 22xx scope are a
common failure, results are as you described.
If you can chk and change the caps, it should be worth the effort.

gd luck.

hth,
Andreas

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Andreas Tekman wrote in
oups.com:

On 1 Jun., 06:51, wrote:
Hello everyone my Tektronix 2246 oscilloscope just went out on me
tonight. First it started making frequencies noises randomly, then it
took multiple tries to get it started. Now it just makes chirp and
doesn't start all together. I opened it up at looked at the power
supply and it looks fine, no obvious damage. Is there a common problem
i could fix on my own? Can someone recommend a good repair shop in the
Chicago land area.
Thanks
Rich

Bad/dry caps in the Tektronix pwr supply of this 22xx scope are a
common failure, results are as you described.
If you can chk and change the caps, it should be worth the effort.

gd luck.

hth,
Andreas

Don't forget to use *low-ESR* switcher-grade caps.Since the 2246 PS uses
odd value caps,the next closest standard value over the uf and voltage
ratings will suffice.

Also,the 2246 PS is underneath the top board;that has to be lifted to
access the PS board,but the PS unplugs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik